Your files are still downloading dialog

Iron Contributor

Can we get GPO to suppress this dialog from appearing:

clipboard_image_0.png

If this dialog pops up while in IE mode, closing browser becomes an issue. On windows 7 in IE mode browser will hang if this dialog appears. I have reported this problem long ago and it still not fixed. This will make issues for users browsing intranet sites that require IE mode. If that's complicated task to fix this issue, GPO setting to suppress this dialog would work.

14 Replies
We're seeing this occasionally while opening documents from our locally hosted SharePoint 2013 environment - the site is configured to open in IE11 mode. We're running Edge Beta on various flavours of Windows 10. The latest example is Edge Beta 79.0.309.43 (64-bit) on W10 1809 (Build 17763.805).

@mindst 

Edge Dev 81.0.381.0 changelog has this one mentioned:

Fixed an issue where downloading files in IE mode tabs sometimes prevents the browser from being closed even after the downloads are completed.

However I still can't see any changed behaviour. Popup still doesn't allows to close browser on windows 10 and hangs browser UI on windows 7. Maybe some options on IE or Edge needs to be changed?

@mindst 

Still not fixed on dev 81.0.396.0. Will this be fixed on windows 7? 

This is what happens on windows 7:

clipboard_image_0.png

I have marked location of that dialog in windows 7. As you can see it is under page content, only small portion of it is visible. And it is not possible to dismiss it.

We have the same problem at our workstations. Whenever we use IE mode on Edge and load a page using a ClickOnce application Edge always shows a warning dialogue with the "your files are still downloading" dialog on exit. Still trying to find a way to disable this warning.

@mindst 

We're seeing the same thing in Edge Production v80.0.361.50 using IE Mode with Win10.

I am seeing this with 80.0.361.54.  If using the "X" in the corner of the browser window I get the "still downloading" dialog and the buttons do nothing useful. I have found if you use the "..." settings menu and select "close microsoft edge" you get the dialog box, but upon clicking "close browser" it actually WILL close out via that method.

I am also seeing if you browse away from the page that makes the dialog persist and even "close browser" doesn't allow you to close or opening a new tab and hitting the "X" in the corner works.

Odd little bug.

@mindst 

We are seeing this as well with IE mode, even in the latest stable release.

@mindst 

After updating to the latest stable version this problem is fixed for me.

Here it is 2023 - and I still get this same message even though files are no longer downloading. This occurs primarily when I am transferring files from one drive to another - and it doesn't seem to matter if it is 10 files or 10,000 files. I have yet to find a single file that actually has not "downloaded" correctly - despite this warning. I see that someone at the end of this thread said that they had found a fix. IS there a fix? I'm on the latest version of Edge. I don't have any other issues (fingers crossed) - just this one annoying and disturbing message that always makes me worry about closing down. But I have literally left my machine up for several days when it first started just to see if it would ever go away. It didn't. It doesn't happen every single time I download or transfer files. But it also doesn't seem to be related to the size or number of files. Just wanted to let someone know that this is still occurring in 2023. Thanks!

I had the same issue and I was afraid if I closed it I would lose files. The ne day, It was still running?

@Dale365 @SLBradford Hello - I scanned through but was unable to find any recent reports of this issue.  The most recent was from 2020.

If you haven't yet, can you please submit diagnostic data through our in-browser feedback tool? It's under "..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Dale365 I've never had any files lost and have had that same issue with it running overnight and still showing that warning. I just go ahead and leave anyway and have never had an issue. I looked on some other support sites and that seems to be what other people do as well. The last time I reported this and sent in diagnostics they just had me reinstall and it didn't make any difference at all - plus it messed up some settings - so I just live with it. I came on here to see if anyone could say if they have an across the board solutioin or things that I can look at myself. I just don't want to go through reinstalling again. My guess is there is likely some program that isn't "quite" working properly with Edge or something else. Dropbox is when it happens most - but certainly not the only one. Good luck!

Yes. I had been sending and it would allow anything to go? the Norton symbol would show up and change my screen not allowing me to send.