SOLVED

To open this page in Internet Explorer mode, reinstall Microsoft Edge with administrator privileges.

Copper Contributor

Hello,

We are currently deploying MS Edge Chromium with SCCM and GPO.

We are using IE Mode for somes apps but we have somes problems with it.

On somes computers, IE Mode open a new Internet Explorer windows with the message "To open this page in Internet Explorer mode, reinstall Microsoft Edge with administrator privileges."

It mess with the SSO on somes app if not openned with IE mode inside Edge.

Reinstalling with the MSI with admin rights doesn't solve the problem.

If someone have a workaround, thanks :)

Bonjour,

Nous déployons actuellement MS Edge Chromium avec SCCM et des GPO.

Nous utilisons le mode IE pour certaines applications web mais nous rencontrons des problèmes.

Sur certains PC, un site devant s'ouvrir en mode IE ouvre une nouvelle fenêtre avec le message "Pour ouvrir cette page en mode InternetExplorer, réinstallez MicrosoftEdge avec des privilèges d’administrateur."

Cela fait dysfonctionner le SSO sur certains sites si le mode IE ne s'ouvre pas dans la fenêtre de Edge.

Réinstaller avec le MSI en tant qu'administrateur ne résout pas le problème.

Si quelqu'un à une solution, merci :)

7 Replies

@PNE77 Hello!  There can be a variety of reasons users see this error message. 

There have been some past discussions here in the Tech Community.  For example: 

If those do not help, I would suggest filing a customer support request: https://support.serviceshub.microsoft.com/supportforbusiness.  Support will be able to work with you to get necessary logs and information to investigate your specific issue.  Thanks!

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y Hello, thanks for your answer and your help.

So far :

I've try to reinstall (as admin) with deleting all Edge and Internet Explorer folders in %APPDATA% ans %LOCALAPPDATA% and registry. And after reinstalling, I've reset edge in the menu.

Problem occurs on Windows 10 and Windows 7 with differents level off updates.

On impacted computers, the "Redirect sites from Microsoft Edge to IE mode" part of the GPO doesn't work either as Internet Explorer keep openning on all sites.

Problem seems to be system wide as it occurs with multiples Windows profiles (AD, local, even new users on the computer).

Application event log show this warning : [40720:39572:0217/185859.790:WARNING:web_contents_internet_explorer_tab_host_observer_win.cc(207)] Creation of Internet Explorer mode tab failed: 3

Not so much information on internet to solve this :(

I will try to open a Microsoft case.

@PNE77 Hi!  Just to follow up, I wanted to pass along some additional information that might help :smile:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode-faq#error-message-to-open-this-page-in-inte... 

Thanks! 

-Kelly

Did you find the fix for this problem? I have deployed edge using sccm on all our windows 7 machines and using gpo for IE mode. There are no issues on windows 10 computers. Only on windows 7 and windows sever 2012 vdi.
Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find the fix for this problem? I have deployed edge using sccm on all our windows 7 machines and using gpo for IE mode. There are no issues on windows 10 computers. Only on windows 7 and windows sever 2012 vdi.
Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

@sometechguy83 Hello!  If you are seeing this error "To open this page in Internet Explorer mode, reinstall Microsoft Edge with administrator privileges." have you tried these suggestions https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode-faq#error-message---to-open-this-page-in-in...?

Here is the list of minimum system updates for each operating system: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode#prerequisites

Thanks! 

-Kelly

best response confirmed by PNE77 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@sometechguy83 

It appears to be related to the Internet Explorer patch version.  If you go to edge://compat/iediagnostic check to see if Internet Explorer mode API version shows "Not Supported". 

4C00472D.PNG

If so, you'll need to update your Internet Explorer version.  I found that working machines had KB4519974 installed, whereas the broken ones were on an older version of IE.  Once I installed KB4519974 and rebooted, it resolved the issue.

IE.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PNE77 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@sometechguy83 

It appears to be related to the Internet Explorer patch version.  If you go to edge://compat/iediagnostic check to see if Internet Explorer mode API version shows "Not Supported". 

4C00472D.PNG

If so, you'll need to update your Internet Explorer version.  I found that working machines had KB4519974 installed, whereas the broken ones were on an older version of IE.  Once I installed KB4519974 and rebooted, it resolved the issue.

IE.png

View solution in original post