Syntax for local files in Edge Enterprise IE mode for sitelist.xml

Copper Contributor

Have enterprise IE mode set up and xml site list working but is there a syntax for using local htm files on the C drive.  Have a piece of software that default launches its manual in non IE mode and need IE mode for it to work.  Have seen no references on how to do local files although launching it with 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --new-window --ie-mode-file-url file:///C:/ProgramData/index.htm

works in cmd

Have tried various formulations of 

url="file:///C:/ProgramData/index.htm"

comes out as expression below under edge://compat

*://file///c:/programdata/index.htm

8 Replies

@brw02005 Hello!  My understanding is that when creating the sitelist.xml file, the URL should not contain protocols.  Here is a screenshot from Schema v.2 Guidance

Kelly_Y_0-1675116742147.png

It might be that the "file://" portion is causing issues with the parsing.  

If you need additional assistance, you can reach out to Support for Business or App Assure: Support - Microsoft Edge Developer.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y 

Does not work just writing the local path either.  If there is no known syntax reference for local files going to assume that this will never work which is strange as it works from the manually add field where it forgets it in 30 days so strange sitelist.xml does not support that.  I have read the same documentation you are presenting.

@brw02005  Hi same parsing error in my place. Checked everything but edge ignores the first ":" so the configured URL in sitelist.xml is not the same in adresslist of the edge browser

site url="file:///c:/somepath/file" in sitelist.xml  then
browser: file:///c:/somepath/file  vs. edge://compat listing: *://file//c:/somepath/file  and if i remove the file:///  (site url="c:/somepath/file")  it shows in the edge://compat   *://c/somepath/file

i hope we get a fix for that

Local filepaths  worked for us till Sept /Aug  23

@Simon_Jaklitsch Hello - Can you confirm that this used to work previously?  And during around Aug/Sept 2023, something changed, and it is now not working?  Do you know if you updated to a new version of Microsoft Edge around the time that it stopped working?  What version of Edge are you currently using?  Thanks!

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y  HI  our employees have to do a report every month and they told me that in july they could view the xml report without a problem and after vacation in aug / sep the report did not show up (blanc white page in edge because the parsing didnt work correct). We made no changes to the sitelist.xml so in my opinion the problem is located in the edge browser.

currently we use Version 119.0.2151.72 (Offizielles Build) (64-Bit)

we have auto update in place so if there is an update from edge we get it.

wbr Simon

@Simon_Jaklitsch Hi - I've reached out to our developer working on IE mode.  The first thing they want to make sure is that everything is configured correctly and you have reviewed the documentation to set up IE mode policy.  

If you are still having issues after confirming everything is correct, let me know and I'll connect with you separately as we will need to gather logs and specific information for your case.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

As per what Simon Jaklitsch said this was working for us as well until recently.
Our sites.xml looks like this

<site-list version="3">
<site url="file://servername">
<compat-mode>Default</compat-mode>
<open-in>IE11</open-in>
</site>
</site-list>

We have an html file we open in a mapped drive e.g. T:\path\filename.htm
T: is mapped to a network share on the server e.g. \\servername\sharename

It was reported to me in November 2023 that the page stopped opening in IE Mode automatically.

The only thing that has changed for us is Microsoft Edge updated automatically to the latest version.

Craig
Hallo Kelly

Its the same as CNWatkins is reporting. In our case its a path on the systemdrive
<site url="c:/somepath/someware/somefile.xml">
<compat-mode>IE8Enterprise</compat-mode>
<open-in allow-redirect="true">IE11</open-in>
</site>
this worked for us for years.
the sitelist.xml is loaded in edge correctly because the urls (like url=www.sonedomain.com ) are working fine

as i mentioned: in the settings page the path is listed BUT
with *://c/somepath/someware/somefile.xml"
the urls are listed as *://www.somedomain.com so there is no problem mit the ":" in the url
if a user adds a site to his own settings (default browser - add site to iemode) to open a file or url in iemode, (c:\test\test.xml) the local file is working because the path is listed correctly "file:///C:/test/test.xml" there is the first ":" of the url.
the only problem is "in my opinion" the parsing of the enterprice sitelist.xml of the first ":" in local paths
we tried url=c:\d:\f:\someshit.xml and in the compat setting site it was displayed as *://c/d:/f:/someshit.xml
we tried it also with "url=file://c:/d:/f:/..." then edge reports the url *://file//c:/d:/f:/someshit.xml (in this case the ":" from file is excluded wich is the first ":" )

our problem is, that we cannot change the path to uncpath as Craig said, because c:\ is a local drive.

wbr Simon