Silent and Unattended Uninstall for Edge Insider Browser?

Copper Contributor

Hi

Looking for a command line to silently and unattended uninstall for the new Microsoft Edge Insider Browser as I need to create an SCCM uninstall command.

The 'UninstallString' in the registry is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\77.0.218.4\Installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-dev --system-level --verbose-logging

But when run it prompts to clear your browsing data

Is there a way to make this silent and unattended?

When you run setup.exe /? it gives no info on command line options  

TIA

8 Replies

@Simon Kennerley you should be able to achieve silent uninstall by using the --force-uninstall flag. Hope that helps!

@Steve Rugh Hi, I'm also trying to figure out a silent uninstall for Edge (actually Edge Dev in this case).

The --force-uninstall parameter doesn't seem to work. Setup.exe appears to launch as I watch task manager, but then it immediately stops running. I don't get any prompts or error messages.'

Here's the command line I'm using, which with the exception of the suggested --force-uninstall parameter, I've taken straight from the Uninstall key in the registry:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\81.0.403.1\Installer\setup.exe" --force-uninstall --msedge-dev --system-level --verbose-logging

Any ideas? I've also tried --silent-uninstall and --quiet-uninstall, but those didn't work, either.

@JimmyTheExploder :

setup.exe" --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall it worked for me

@balimidi 

That does not work for me.  If I run that script "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Beta\Application\80.0.361.53\Installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging, nothing happens that I can see. 

If I run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Beta\Application\80.0.361.53\Installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-dev --system-level --verbose-logging users are prompted about keeping data.

Thoughts?

I need to silently uninstall DEV and BETA versions of EDGE from all our Win10 64bit Enterprise machines before I deploy Chromium Edge production.

@Ian Matthews  What would work are these argument: --uninstall --msedge-beta --system-level --force-uninstall

Anyway: Is there any generic uninstall command to uninstall any version of Edge Beta? 

@stesch79   I gave up and uninstalled Edge Beta from 70 PC's manually... desk by desk... not cool but I could not get an answer via the forum and I failed to figure it out through trial and error.

Thanks all the same.  Hopefully your string will help others :)

Stay safe!

@echo off
reg.exe query "HKU\S-1-5-19" 1>nul 2>nul || (echo Run the script as administrator&pause&exit)

set "u_path=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft"
set "s_path=%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft"
if /i %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%==x86 (if not defined PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 (
  set "s_path=%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft"
  )
)

for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\Edge SxS\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-sxs --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
)
for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\Edge Dev\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-dev --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
)
for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\Edge Beta\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-beta --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
)
for /D %%i in ("%s_path%\Edge Beta\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-beta --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
)
for /D %%i in ("%s_path%\Edge Dev\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-dev --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
)
pause
That batch file is a nice piece of work, How few of us still no the inner mysteries of the Bat file script language, long may it live.