SOLVED

Remove 'Search Bing in sidebar' using policy, startup flag or registry

Brass Contributor

Hello

We are asking to be able to remove the "Search Bing in sidebar" option in the context menu when text is selected.

I am aware of the possibilities given within Bing removal - Microsoft Tech Community however these only provide two options:

1. Remove both the "Search the web for" and "Search Bing in sidebar" options
  2. Keep both

I am also aware that option one can be configured to use whichever search engine - however the "Search Bing in sidebar..." cannot be changed.

My attempts have included:

1. adding flags to the startup icon as follows:

Context menu items remain, including "Search Bing in sidebar..."

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe" --disable-features=msSidebarSearchAfterSearchWebFor,msSidebarSearchBeforeSearchWebFor

2. Action: Changing a registry key in, to Decimal 0

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\DefaultSearchProviderContextMenuAccessAllowed

Result: no searching options available on selecting text and opening context menu

In line with our corp. decisions we need to change this context menu item, and assistance with this would be appreciated.

jwebster_0-1633994359184.png

21 Replies

@jfw Hi!  Just to confirm your question, you are looking for a way to disable "Search in sidebar for" but keep "Search the web for" enabled.  Is that correct?  

Do you have the default search provider set to something other than Bing?  

Also, can you share what version of MS Edge you are using?  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y Hi :)

Is that correct?  

That's right - thank you for confirming.

Do you have the default search provider set to something other than Bing?  

I do yes. I've removed Bing from the list of search engines under Settings > Privacy, search and services > Address bar and search > Manage search engines
(to test it has been removed, made sure it is not within the list, screenshot 1) 

jwebster_0-1634107250740.png

Also, can you share what version of MS Edge you are using?  Thanks! 

I mainly use Version 96.0.1032.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit) day-to-day however this behaviour also occurs within Version 94.0.992.47 (Official build) (64-bit).

Let me know if I can help any further.

@jfw Hi!  I'm checking with the team to see if they have any suggestions.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@jfw Hi, did you get anywhere? Am also trying to remove "Search Bing in sidebar..." but keep the "Search the web..." option.

Cheers.

@loyukfai I have not had any further information on this.

Hi @Kelly_Y could you help us with an update?

Thankyou

Jack

Hi!  I have not heard any updates yet but I just followed up with the team to check in :smile:  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Just wanted to chime in to say I also am looking for a solution, and really appreciate your updates on it! :)

add me to the list of folks who want to be able to remove the Bing sidebar. I don't have anything against Bing, but I don't like the sidebar itself.
Same here. I don't like the search bar. It is too narrow; I like results in a new tab. I keep mis clicking so I have to search again and close the search bar.

Hi Everyone!  The team has just released the SearchInSidebarEnabled policy (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#searchinsidebarenabled).  It is available starting in Microsoft Edge v110.  Please take a look and let us know if you have any feedback.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y Release Edge is on v108 now. v110 would be ready in about 2 months, right?

@loyukfai Yes, Stable v110 is estimated for the beginning of February.  Here is a link to the release schedule: Microsoft Edge release schedule | Microsoft Learn.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y we are now at v111 and it's not working, what's going on?

Apparently it needs to be set to 2 instead of 0, talk about unintuitive. But yay, at least it works.

@georgir 

Yes, hooray, finally we're free from Search Bing in sidebar right-click context menu tyranny.

Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge' -Name 'SearchInSidebarEnabled' -Type DWord -Value 2

May need to give it a kick with gpupdate /force or wait for the next 90-minute group policy refresh for it to take effect.

I made a .reg file to disable both the Bing button and the Sidebar options in right-clicks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1slL3sHuWLLrV5nqWEvggXGt2PcuAtptt/view?usp=sharing

After importing, navigate to "edge://policy/" and reload policies.

Cheers.

Thank you so much for the Registry file. It absolutely works without even reloading policies.

"Search Bing in Sidebar" option in the Context Menu is finally gone at last.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jfw (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hooray! Once the MS Edge Group Policy Definitions are installed, you can set it as follows. I have set it at the Computer Configuration level in this case.

jfw_0-1709595918084.png

Super happy this has been implemented!

View solution in original post