"Save Target As" in IE Mode Unavailable

Brass Contributor

Good day!

I'm testing from a Windows 10 20H2 system, Edge 89.0.774.63.

I've come across this link which describes a group policy that should allow you to enable the ability to "Save Target As" in IE mode, however I'm still seeing this as unavailable.

IE mode troubleshooting and FAQ | Microsoft Docs

I have the policy set on this device, and I see the registry setting for it active.
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode\AllowSaveTargetAsInIEMode = 1

The context menu is still greyed out for the option

Jeffrey_Fronius_0-1617710896586.png

9 Replies

@Jeffrey_Fronius Hello!  Can you confirm the Windows 10 20H2 device you are testing with has  KB4580364 installed?  The functionality does requires operating system updates. 

If you are still having issues even with the update let us know and I can reach out to the IE mode team.  Thanks!

-Kelly

This particular device has the March cumulative update for 20H2, KB5000802 which would contain any previous 20H2 cumulative patches.

KB4580364 appears to be "2020-10 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4580364)." I am assuming that the March 2021 cumulative contains anything that was contained within the October 2020 cumulative.

@Jeffrey_Fronius Hello!  I just talked to the IE mode team and hopefully we can help! 

Taking a look at your screenshot, it looks like the MS Edge context menu.  When a page is loaded in IE mode, if you right click on a link on the page, you should see the following context menu with the "Save target as..." option.  

Kelly_Y_0-1617834857492.png

Please give this a try! 

-Kelly

Okay, so this setting is just for saving the page rendered by a hyperlink. Is there no way of saving the currently loaded page if it was rendered in IE mode?

We can save the page if it was rendered in native Edge using the Edge context menu.

@Jeffrey_Fronius Hello!  I did a little more digging and I can see that we've just released a Windows Update that will allow you to use Ctrl+S to save the page in IE mode.  

Here is a link to the article: March 29, 2021—KB5000842 (OS Builds 19041.906 and 19042.906) Preview (microsoft.com)

It is mentioned under "Improvements and fixes" 

Kelly_Y_0-1617909716148.png

I believe the new policy is Enable IE mode Hotkeys.  Please give that a try!  Thanks! 

-Kelly

I tested this today. This does not add anything to the right click context menu when in IE Mode.

Windows 10 20H2, with this policy enabled, I see I can now press CTRL+S to save the page.

Unfortunately, I have a much larger install base of Server 2012 R2 with Edge than I do Win10 20H2. On Server 2012 R2, this policy does not appear to work.

@Jeffrey_Fronius Yes, you are correct the update was to enable CTRL+S  to be used in IE mode.  The right click context menu behavior has not changed.  

I did take a look and I believe the update was serviced back to Windows Server version 1809.  Like you have seen, I don't think prior versions were included.  

-Kelly

Are there plans to include this back to Server 2012 R2?

@Jeffrey_Fronius Hello!  Currently I do not see any information about servicing this back to Server 2012 R2.  I believe if you reach out to Support (https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us)

they can work with you to understand business impact and discuss with the Servicing Team if there are any options.  

-Kelly