SOLVED

Prevent users accessing edge://flags

Brass Contributor

I'm managing Edge in an enterprise where we don't want users to be able to access the edge://flags feature.

I cannot see a way to disable this in group policy.

8 Replies

@DeltaWasp 

Try open Group Policy and under Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Microsoft Edge and you will see Prevent access to the about:flag page in Microsoft Edge and enable this policy.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived Thanks for responding, but I believe what you described is for 'Classic' Edge and not for 'edge://flags', apologies, I should have been more explicit and stated that I'm referring to current Chromium based Edge (v79 and above).

Is there any registry hack to disabling edge://flags for Edge Chromium?
best response confirmed by DeltaWasp (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@DeltaWasp 

but you are correct, can't be confused with legacy Edge because the community and forum related to legacy Edge was closed a few months ago with lots of notices. everything here is about the new Microsoft Edge (Chromium based).

Also Microsoft hasn't embedded the new Edge browser's group policies into Windows 10 yet. so you need to install them manually from the business landing page of Edge:

Download Microsoft Edge for Business - Microsoft

once you install them, you can browser Microft Docs website for the thorough explanation of each policy.

there is one policy regarding URL blocking:

Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation | Microsoft Docs

and it states that: 

"Note that blocking internal 'edge://*' URLs isn't recommended - this may lead to unexpected errors."

you can test this out and see if it works for Edge://flags.

@DeltaWasp 

Try download and Configure Group Policies for Microsoft Edge:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/configure-microsoft-edge 

Look into policies and if you won't find it, then you may share this through feedback option.

As workaround you may use following policy:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#urlblocklist 

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Yup, already mentioned above, but there is a catch.

@HotCakeX Thanks, I can confirm that using 'Block access to a list of URLs' does the trick if I add 'edge://flags' to that policies' list.

@DeltaWasp 

oh that's good to hear, you're welcome!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DeltaWasp (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@DeltaWasp 

but you are correct, can't be confused with legacy Edge because the community and forum related to legacy Edge was closed a few months ago with lots of notices. everything here is about the new Microsoft Edge (Chromium based).

Also Microsoft hasn't embedded the new Edge browser's group policies into Windows 10 yet. so you need to install them manually from the business landing page of Edge:

Download Microsoft Edge for Business - Microsoft

once you install them, you can browser Microft Docs website for the thorough explanation of each policy.

there is one policy regarding URL blocking:

Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation | Microsoft Docs

and it states that: 

"Note that blocking internal 'edge://*' URLs isn't recommended - this may lead to unexpected errors."

you can test this out and see if it works for Edge://flags.

View solution in original post