Old Edge icon still in taskbar (MDT)

Copper Contributor

I started deployment of the newly released Edge MSI (stable) with MDT. The MSI is installed as part of the Task Sequence. During the deployment everything is looking great but when first user logins they have the old Edge icon AND the new Edge icon in taskbar. Clicking on the old icon opens the new Edge. Surely a bug. 

Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 x64

Edge 79.0.309.65

27 Replies

@beeryurt thanks, you linked Information about a patch for 1903 and 1909, I'm having an issue on 1809, so I'm out of luck, if this is true, but hey, today's patchday, I'll see.

v@ulflundh  I have exactly an same issue. No matter whatever troubleshoot we do it comes back after log off or restart. No clue how it's getting applied again and again.

@ranjithckm7 Sounds like normal behavior (it should then even come back again after explorer restart) if you imported a taskbar-layout with PowerShell Import-StartLayout command into your image. In the xml you imported you should have an entry like this:

<taskbar:UWA AppUserModelID="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge" />

and need to replace it with this:

<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Edge.lnk" />

reimport the Start-Layout and you should be fine for new user profiles on this machine.

For existing profiles you need to edit the LayoutModification.xml under %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell for each and replace the exactly same lines. as mentioned above. My sample PowerShell-Code for that ($profile is the path to C:\Users\username in the current round of the loop)

[xml]$LayoutMod = Get-Content -Path "$profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml"
                    $newItem = $LayoutMod.CreateElement("taskbar:DesktopApp")
                    $newItem.SetAttribute("DesktopApplicationLinkPath", "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Edge.lnk")
                    $oldItem = $LayoutMod.LayoutModificationTemplate.CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection.TaskbarLayout.TaskbarPinList.UWA | ? AppUserModelID -Like '*edge*'
                    $LayoutMod.LayoutModificationTemplate.CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection.TaskbarLayout.TaskbarPinList.ReplaceChild($newItem, $oldItem)
                    $LayoutMod.Save("$profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml")

As far as I have seen, this doesn't happen to the start menu because the whole behavior of Import-StartLayout in start menu is another one and users are able to change their tiles (changes overlast explorer-restarts), so the default Icon-changes the edge setup brings with it, are enough for start menu if you used Import-Startlayout.

@ChrisK9. Sorry it took some time to come back. You're right. I got 2 doubts,

1. I have found many instances of below in defaultlayout.xml

<taskbar:UWA AppUserModelID="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge" />

Do i need to replace all the above instances with below.

<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Edge.lnk" />

2. I'm attaching my LayoutModification.xml to advise more and I don't know either edge or ie which one brings old edge icon here.

@ranjithckm7 I do not touch DefaultLayouts.xml under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell, if you're talking about that, just the LayoutModification.xml and the xml I formerly created for my os-image.

To your Screenshot, as mentioned before, you just need to replace the old edge-entry, IE-entry doesn't have to do anything with the edge-icon. 

I think I've got removed the older edge icon. Thanks for that. I haven't tried the way to remove the same from new os image.

@ranjithckm7 Hello, could you please share script?

@v-vii5 I just followed as @ChrisK9  said.

i.e.