SOLVED

New tab logo - GPO

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am currently trying to set up GPOs for our environment. However, I can't seem to figure out how should be the NewTabPageCompanyLogo policy used.

I got to the point where my JSON looks like this:

{
   "default_logo": {
      "url":"https://www.prefix.eu/img/logo-velke.png",
      "hash":"94147173cb122c3d19e7cc6884d3e0194d5272d43f43ba493d2513f51e06e456"
   }
}

and basically, this is what I minify and paste into the GPMC:

clipboard_image_0.png

The problem is that Edge does not show the logo on the new tab and in edge://policy/ shows error state:

Value { "default_logo": { "hash": "94147173cb122c3d19e7cc6884d3e0194d5272d43f43ba493d2513f51e06e456", "url": "https://www.prefix.eu/img/logo-velke.png" } }
Key url: value is required. Key hash: value is required.

We are using version 78.0.276.20 Beta.

Any directions what I am doing wrong?

31 Replies

@Avi Vaid I am experiencing the same thing.  My PC is locally domain joined, and I'm signed in to it with a domain account.  But we are also on Office 365, so AAD is available.  My suspicion is that if my PC were initially AAD joined instead instead of local domain joined, the problem might not occur, but I'm not certain of that.

My post (a few posts up from this one) details how I used GPO's to get around this issue.  But it was impacting all of our end users.

@Avi Vaid Same with our environment, Hybrid with Local Domain and AAD. The default account that get's signed in is DOMAIN/USER and not the username@domain.com account.

@TI_Master Hmm, that's not exactly the same thing as far as I understand. Since your PC is just domain joined, there may not be an AAD present on the device. If that's the case, Edge will use the on-prem domain account to automatically sign in and this is expected. If there is an AAD account present (from AAD-J, Hybrid join, or AAD sign in to another Microsoft app without selecting "This app only"), Edge should be using the AAD to automatically sign in. 

Thanks for sharing how you use GPO to get around the on-prem sign in. Let me know how we may be able to make this configuration easier for admins like you that have a domain joined environment but don't want the on-prem sign in since you have O365.

@Avi Vaid I can tell you that it is choosing the DOMAIN\User for the default profile, even though I (and several other users) had AAD accounts added to our PC's.  We are signing in to the PC as DOMAIN\User, and that one gets auto-selected regardless of the presence of the AAD accounts.  With the GPO it will instead allow me to pick the AAD account for the default profile.

The GPO method fixes it for a new logon to that PC. So the primary profile is the correct user@domain.com logon. But not fixed it yet on my primary PC with an established local profile. We use SSO for O365 so Edge should sign in the same automatically right?

@LBXComputers What I found is that applying the GPO cleared the existing DOMAIN\User profile and allowed me to sign in to an AAD instead.  But the GPO had to be applied to the PC first for this to happen.

Be sure to do it in both the Computer and User admin templates on the GPO, it may not work correctly if its not on both.

I put it at computer level. I’ll try at user level tomorrow

Has anyone figured out how to make the uploaded logo have a higher priority than the one you upload in the 365 Admin center. 

It seems to be that it's that logo that is used and not the one i used with the GPO.

It always shows the Microsoft logo dispute our portal being branded with our logo AND the policy being set.

@LBXComputers Yea if you use "Focused". It did switch the top left one for me in "Informational" or "Inspirational" view, but i'm thinking that's more to the fact that i'm signed in with my 365 account now since it actually uses the image uploaded from the Admin portal. 

The GPO does not seem to work..

@matyaskoc We're currently on 80.0.361.62.  Just tried to set it up, and it didn't work -- ended up here. 

Learned about the "edge://policy/" shortcut, and upon checking it, "NewTabPageCompanyLogo" has an Error: "This policy isn't used anymore."

So it's officially been depreciated.

please check your company policy /Firewall polcies is allowed to acces external websites: https://www.prefix.eu/img/logo-velke.png

Method 1:
Group Policy (ADMX) info
GP unique name: NewTabPageCompanyLogo
GP name: Set new tab page company logo (obsolete)
GP path (Mandatory): Administrative Templates/Microsoft Edge/Startup, home page and new tab page
GP path (Recommended): N/A
GP ADMX file name: MSEdge.admx

Method 2:

SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\NewTabPageCompanyLogo = {
"default_logo": {
"hash": "cd0aa9856147b6c5b4ff2b7dfee5da20aa38253099ef1b4a64aced233c9afe29",
"url": "https://www.contoso.com/logo.png"
},
"light_logo": {
"hash": "517d286edb416bb2625ccfcba9de78296e90da8e32330d4c9c8275c4c1c33737",
"url": "https://www.contoso.com/light_logo.png"
}