SOLVED

New tab logo - GPO

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am currently trying to set up GPOs for our environment. However, I can't seem to figure out how should be the NewTabPageCompanyLogo policy used.

I got to the point where my JSON looks like this:

{
   "default_logo": {
      "url":"https://www.prefix.eu/img/logo-velke.png",
      "hash":"94147173cb122c3d19e7cc6884d3e0194d5272d43f43ba493d2513f51e06e456"
   }
}

and basically, this is what I minify and paste into the GPMC:

clipboard_image_0.png

The problem is that Edge does not show the logo on the new tab and in edge://policy/ shows error state:

Value { "default_logo": { "hash": "94147173cb122c3d19e7cc6884d3e0194d5272d43f43ba493d2513f51e06e456", "url": "https://www.prefix.eu/img/logo-velke.png" } }
Key url: value is required. Key hash: value is required.

We are using version 78.0.276.20 Beta.

Any directions what I am doing wrong?

31 Replies

@matyaskoc 

I'm seeing the same exact Problem in the edge://policy it shows OK, but no logo on the New Tab page.

clipboard_image_0.png

This is the JSON I have in the GPO

{
"light_logo": {
"url": "https://i.ibb.co/WpFnSYC/MCClogo.png",
"hash": "1D91CE425B40B227D07BC80D35C9487CEE0CFB48D626080CE4C429F9877714C9"
},
"url": "https://i.ibb.co/WpFnSYC/MCClogo.png",
"hash": "1D91CE425B40B227D07BC80D35C9487CEE0CFB48D626080CE4C429F9877714C9"
}
}

Bumping this

{
"hash": "5A75F0D5C6BEB34F772C35B1CC3FD05477D382FBCBB6F845E5926C20F14DD035",
"url": "*logo-url*"
},
"light_logo": {
"hash": "5A75F0D5C6BEB34F772C35B1CC3FD05477D382FBCBB6F845E5926C20F14DD035",
"url": "*logo-url*"
}
}

Same issue i still get the Microsoft logo on the new tab. The policy page says that it's "okay" but it still doesn't work.

Any help please. :)

I am having the same issue.  The GPO looks correct and it shows up in edge://policy, but no logo is showing.

I too are still seeing the Microsoft logo on the new tab page however the value is Status OK on the edge://Policy page.

Using Beta version 79.0.309.56

Same here, Canary v81.0.381.0

@matyaskoc 

Having the exact same issue on Edge Stable 79.0.309.58 and W10 1909.

@ecull1315 et al - thank you for trying out GPO for new tab logo in Microsoft Edge. After some internal testing it looks like we need to make additional changes for this to work properly. 

Thank you again for the feedback and participation.

Any progress on this? We'd like to deploy the new Edge company wide as soon as possible and this would be the cherry on top if it was working correctly.
best response confirmed by matyaskoc (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@LBXComputers thanks for checking in! If you're using the Enterprise new tab experience then you can configure your company logo to appear on that page via the online admin center. You can read more about how to do that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/setup/customize-your-organization-theme?view=o365-w...

Please let me know if this is a good solution for you, or additional feedback if not. Thanks!

@ChadRoth Is there something that needs to be enabled for the Enterprise experience to show up in Edge? Because i am signed in with a AD account, but i don't have any options in the new tab page. 

Looks like this is deprecated.  The ADMX policy states:

DEPRECATED: This policy is deprecated. It is currently supported but will become obsolete in a future release.
We are deprecating this policy because it doesn't work as expected and recommend that it not be used.

Womp womp.

It has not made change to the new tab start page in Edge.
:(

@OliverTeglhus Enterprise new tab experience is only enabled when you sign in with Azure Active Directory (AAD). Is your work account an AAD account, or an AD account? Thanks!

We are finding that the user signs in automatically with domain\username rather than user@domain.com and you have to create a second profile to get sign in to work and sync to happen.

We are using hybrid ad/aad as we have on premises AD but Office 365 with SSO.

@LBXComputers I built a GPO to only allow signins to Edge from certain domains.  The end result is that the DOMAIN\User is blocked from being the default profile, and the user can select their Office 365 account as their signed in profile (and therefore sync).  With a little work on the GPO, I can probably allow just about everything except domain\user format, so that users can use their personal Microsoft account for a personal profile, in addition to the work one.  We have multiple domain names on our email, so I had to use a regex expression as it is to make this work.

But right now, I block auto profile sign-in completely during install, and only allow my end users to sign in with an Office 365 AAD account as their default profile.

The specific GPO I use to accomplish this is "Restrict which accounts can be used as Microsoft Edge primary accounts", mine is set to ".*@(domain1.com|domain2.com|domain3.com)" without the quotes.  Some fancy "regex-ing" could probably make this more universal and still block the use of domain\username format, and prevent the AD account from grabbing the default profile.

I also disabled "Configure whether a user always has a default profile automatically signed in with their work or school account" to allow deletion or signing out of the default profile.

@ChadRoth it would be nice if Edge were smart enough to not try and use the DOMAIN\User ID as the default profile, since that account can't sync.  Since its the default profile, it makes life pretty annoying having to switch profiles all the time.  My workaround works great, but most users won't know how to do this.

@ChadRoth then why the hell does it automatically sign in with the ad\*username* account then... Now it finally works after signing in with my 365 account. 

@LBXComputers You mentioned that your environment is hybrid AD joined and you are yet getting domain/username automatically signed in rather than your AAD account? That's pretty strange and we'd love to work with you to understand why this is happening. The intended behavior is that you should get signed in with your AAD. I'll message your privately to look into this. If anyone else is in this situation, please let me know. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by matyaskoc (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@LBXComputers thanks for checking in! If you're using the Enterprise new tab experience then you can configure your company logo to appear on that page via the online admin center. You can read more about how to do that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/setup/customize-your-organization-theme?view=o365-w...

Please let me know if this is a good solution for you, or additional feedback if not. Thanks!

View solution in original post