New MS Edge sync with work account not working

Copper Contributor

Having issues getting Edge to sync with my "Work" account.  Tried signing out and back in numerous times, getting the "Sync isn't available right now" message.  This is a personal work account for my email domian, using O365 Business Essentials licensing, so not really a business support issue, but the general Edge support refused to help since they consider this business support.  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated before I scrap the Edge browser completely.  I did add Azure AD P1 to my account per one article I had found stating that was a requirement, but still no luck.

25 Replies

Same problem here. Edge for Mac says "Not syncing" and "Sync is not available for this account" when signed in using my Office 365 Enterprise account via Okta SSO. Edge for iOS says that syncing is enabled but it doesn't actually seem to be happening. Like the idea of having compatibility of Chrome without Google surveillance but will have to go back to Safari while Edge cooks for a little while longer if I can't sync my browser state across devices.

Yes, tried that already. Guessing I am stuck with the issue in the thread linked below, need to get corrupt crypto data cleared but apparently there is not a way to do it yet.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/enterprise/login-with-azuread-account-sync-instantly-goes-in-...

@jcartwr97 We are having the same issues as well. Keeping us from rolling the new edge out to the rest of our ORG. Not sure how there could be corrupt crypto anything since sync was working fine in the old Edge browser......install new Edge....not working. So the installation of the new Edge caused the corruption of my data and 2 of my sys admins data that also installed for testing ?!

....and if that data is corrupted, then why is sync working for Shared Experiences in Windows 10 Enterprise for our work accounts? AND, if I log into a freshly imaged machine that has the old Edge browser installed, my work account syncs fine on there. This ONLY seems to be a sync issue with the new Edge.

I have an active directory domain and Win 10 Pro desktops at home. My son cannot use his gmail or his internal directory account to log into the new version of edge that he was so jazzed about getting installed. 12-year olds don't usually work yet so I hope that MS does not expect him to have a public work account. Is someone at MS is listening? I feel like we are being taken advantage of trying to support an active directory domain for home use. Please fix this ASAP.

Thanks,

Joe

@joesnet your son should use a Microsoft account, like Outlook.com, hotmail.com etc.

reg, Henno

@Henno_Keers 

I am not sure how your opinion is helping here. Many families still use windows server to have a local family domain which does have some good features to control when kids can log into their computers, etc. Even still, it is our opinion and does not help with the new Edge problems. AD accounts should have the ability to sync because some employees have desktop computer and a notebook. Be nice that we can have the same data on both systems.

im having the same problem ... i don't know what the problem is related to ... we have a hybrid environment ... windows server active directory ... windows server exchange for some users (me) ... exchange online for other users ( i also have a user there and sync works fine ) but i always use the first user ... any solution to this ?

@John Murry 

Spoiler

@John Murry wrote:

@Henno_Keers 

I am not sure how your opinion is helping here. Many families still use windows server to have a local family domain which does have some good features to control when kids can log into their computers, etc. Even still, it is our opinion and does not help with the new Edge problems. AD accounts should have the ability to sync because some employees have desktop computer and a notebook. Be nice that we can have the same data on both systems.

I wonder why a family would spend so much money on server hardware and server license just to have a basic domain and management capabilities while Microsoft Azure, Microsoft 365 Family plan and Azure Active Directory is there, cheaper and always available without need for dedicated hardware.

@HotCakeX 

Lot of people still prefer to have on-premise machines. As for hardware, a normal computer can be visualized and run standard edition. I know many people still using the older Home Server back from 2001-3.

But still, it is the peoples money and it is up to them what and how they want to spend their money. And this topic has nothing to do with the problem at hand. Why won't the sync work with the new Edge?

@John Murry 

Spoiler

@John Murry wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Lot of people still prefer to have on-premise machines. As for hardware, a normal computer can be visualized and run standard edition. I know many people still using the older Home Server back from 2001-3.

But still, it is the peoples money and it is up to them what and how they want to spend their money. And this topic has nothing to do with the problem at hand. Why won't the sync work with the new Edge?

I don't care how people spend their money.

the only reason I talked about Windows server is because you mentioned it first.

I'm not sure which Microsoft work account or subscription you are using that is not working with the new Edge?

@HotCakeX 

From what others wrote, it is from their work accounts. 

@John Murry 

@John Murry wrote:

@HotCakeX 

From what others wrote, it is from their work accounts. 

I know, but others can have different subscriptions.

You seem to have problem with Edge sign in with work account so I'm asking which subscription you use. there isn't just 1 type of work account.

I have an Office 365 business premium subscription and Edge sign in works perfectly with it.

@HotCakeX 

No cloud based subscriptions at all. Only on-premise. 

@bc_FWMS 

Thanks, so it looks like in order to use the sync function in the new Edge, then the user needs to be within Azure AD.

@John Murry 

@John Murry wrote:

Thanks, so it looks like in order to use the sync function in the new Edge, then the user needs to be within Azure AD.

There should be policy to have Roaming User Profiles in Edge for sync without online accounts.

I guess my company is out then. We have AAD (not Premium) and Microsoft 365 Business Standard.

Hello all, just a community manager chiming in here. We've removed a portion of this conversation that 

seemed to be a series of miscommunications and veering into a personal disagreement. Let's move away from that and keep to the topic at hand.