Local Profile Remove Issue

Iron Contributor

In our environment, we only use local profiles in Edge. The default path upon initial configuration on the client is “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge Beta\User Data\Default”

We noticed that if the profile is removed via settings menu (e.g. for troubleshooting reasons) a new profile is created immediately and a new folder in "User Data" folder called "Profile 1" is created. After a second removal, a folder called "Profile 2" and so on.

On this on-prem local profile scenario, I would prefer to delete and recreate "Default" folder instead of creating a new folders.

We user UE-V to save some files from Edge, e.g. bookmarks. in the UE-V settings file we added the path to the default profile folder. In this case, we would need to add "Profile 1" up to "Profile 9999".

Could this behavior be changed?

16 Replies

@Joachim_T Thanks for the hint! Just linked to this thread. Maybe the root cause is the same. 

@stesch79 We configured https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-policies#configureonpremisesaccountautosi... to make default profile not removeable. But we have  domain-joined computers/users only.

@Thilo Langbein Thanks. Yes, if I also change the BrowserSignin from 0 back to 1 (Default) and set ConfigureOnPremisesAccountAutoSignIn the behaviour is as you said, the removal of the profile isn't possible anymore.

stesch79_0-1587122787385.png

@Thilo Langbein It's just annoying that this message appears:

stesch79_0-1587123163707.png

@stesch79 Yes, but only once. I'm not happy with this, but good.

@Thilo Langbein 

In my Eyes this popup is disgusting. It means my servicedesk will be flooded with hundreds of calls from helpless user who think they got hacked because they can see a popup they never have seen before.

We need a "User has to do nothing and not even think" solution

@Joachim_T From my experience, most users click on any OK button without reading the message. :)

@stesch79  we ran into the same problem with VMware UEM for profile management solution we use.

Solution we use at our servicedesk:

Rename the Profile x directory to Default, then remove the file "Local State" and the let the user start Edge & log on. After that it is fixed.

reg, Henno

@Henno_Keers 

Manuel work arounds are never a solution in my eyes. 

@Joachim_T I agree. But we are not close to the root cause of the problem we want to see the scale of the problem and involvement of the ServiceDesk on the issue.

Otherwise one is not fixing the problem but automating a workaround.

reg, Henno 

@Henno_Keers  @Joachim_T I think UE-V will never be a good solution for syncing this Edge profile stuff. Microsoft has confirmed that it will enable https://cloud.google.com/docs/chrome-enterprise/policies/?policy=RoamingProfileLocation for syncing Favorites/settings to a local UNC share. That's the solution I wait for.

@Thilo Langbein that is in relation with this https://cloud.google.com/docs/chrome-enterprise/policies/?policy=RoamingProfileSupportEnabled setting.

But... I have heard, that is the case with Google Chrome too, that enabling this setting, disables "Cloud sync" i.e. login on to your AAD account for synching of your Edge settings.

We found ourselves in the situation that we need both:

• We want the users to logon their AAD account to store Edge settings because then they are available on other devices too.
  • We want the logged on state to their AAD account saved, because otherwise users need to logon to their AAD account every time they start Edge. (We have MFA to Office365 enabled).

So a colleague of mine  created a VMware UEM config that does that.

It is not pretty, but it does the job at the moment.

reg, Henno

@Henno_Keers We don't want our user to login to AAD. Only OnPrem-AD.
So favorites should/could only synced locally.

@Thilo Langbein 

Is there any official statement from Microsoft regarding RoamingProfileLocation?

• What about sync support for on-prem accounts?
    Currently Microsoft Edge doesn't support sync for on-prem accounts. We will be adding this support in a future release.

has been removed...

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/EdgeEnterprise/commit/bd8b7eb43291a3d0c0caea583c756b6e2a009968#diff...

@bin_da 

Last statement (I have) from MS about RoamingProfileSupport. I'm a little concerned about what you found.