SOLVED

Internet Explorer Mode with InPrivate window not working

Copper Contributor

We are using a web application that are redirects to the Internet Explorer Mode via Enterprise Mode Site List and it works as expected. But we are not able to use this page in a InPrivate window. Only the message "To open this page in Internet Explorer mode, reinstall Microsoft Edge with administrator privileges" is displayed.

Why we need this? The application is not able to handle two windows or tabs and with the IE11 I was able to start a new session of the IE11. This is not possible with Edge at the moment.

We are using the Windows build 1809 64bit (Build 17763.1217) and I have tried it with the Edge stable (83.0.478.54) and beta (84.0.522.20) channel. 

In my opinion is it a bug.

9 Replies

@maikwinter Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to our Insider community.

I will loop in our IE Mode team, but first want to confirm: are you trying to open an IE mode tab from within an MSFT Edge InPrivate window, or trying to open an IE InPrivate window from within a regular IE mode tab?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hello @Deleted, 

I open the InPrivate window first and than browse to a web page that should be opened in the Internet Explorer Mode (as in the Enterprise Mode Side List defined).

Regards,

Maik

@maikwinter Thanks for the clarification; I'll pass this on to our IE Mode team.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@maikwinter - If a site is configured to open in IE mode, what you're trying should work. To make sure I understand the problem - IE mode works for the site when you are not in InPrivate mode, but doesn't work if you open a new InPrivate window. Is that correct?

Can you please send us screenshots of the edge://compat/iediagnostic page in both cases?

Thanks!

@Shilpa_Subramanian yes this is correct. Attached you can find the both screenshots.

@Shilpa_Subramanian could you already look at the topic or do you need more information?

best response confirmed by maikwinter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@maikwinter Thanks for your patience.

Can you also check if you have the IE policy called "Turn off InPrivate Browsing" set to "Enabled" on your machine? You can find it under Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Privacy.

If it is enabled, could you try the same steps after disabling the policy please?

@Shilpa_Subramanian this was the right hint! After set the policy from enabled to disable the website open with the inPrivate mode and the internet explorer mode. Thanks a lot for you help!

@Shilpa_Subramanian I am facing same issue. But doing the same steps does not work for me. The site opens in edge browser but when I try to open the same in edge in ie mode and in private window gives error message to reinstall the edge browser.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by maikwinter (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@maikwinter Thanks for your patience.

Can you also check if you have the IE policy called "Turn off InPrivate Browsing" set to "Enabled" on your machine? You can find it under Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Privacy.

If it is enabled, could you try the same steps after disabling the policy please?

View solution in original post