Hi I have problem with IE mode in Edge.

I have two machines one is physical and second one is Virtual

Physical machine:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

OS Version: 10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393

Virtual machine:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Datacenter

OS Version: 10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393

On both of them I have IE 11 and Microsoft Edge: Version 101.0.1210.39 (Official build) (64-bit)

On below screenshot You can see policies which are applied in Edge

rafalw15851895_1-1652189329967.png

That policy settings should be enough to open google webpage in IE mode or to reload any other webpage to IE mode. Unfortunately it is not working. Inside Microsoft Edge in Settings -> Default browser I can only see option to set Edge as a default browser.  I don’t see “Internet Explorer compatibility”  section.

Additionally in Edge menu I don’t see “Reload in Internet Explorer mode”  button.

Are there any additional prerequisites or settings ?

19 Replies

@rafalw15851895 Hello!  There are 2 different IE mode features and want to make sure they are not getting confused.  

Please note: Windows Server 2016 is not supported for the local site list.  

Kelly_Y_0-1652213801756.png

If you need help setting up IE mode, we offer various support options. If you have Microsoft Unified Support, you can reach out to that support service for help with the transition. There’s also FastTrack, available at no extra charge to customers with 150 or more paid seats of Windows 10.

We also recommend our Microsoft Edge + Internet Explorer mode Getting Started guide and our IE mode blog series.

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y 

Hi yes i know about both IE mods but that is not a problem. In first case i configured IE mode via GPO but it is not working. Second option (local site list)  is not possible to configure because I don't see any of settings in which I can configure it.  IE mode settings are not visible in Edge.  And about local site list feature on windows server 2016. Ok that feature will not work but it should be possible to open webpage in IE mode using button "Reload in Internet Explorer mode”. Unfortunately that button doesn't exist. 

@rafalw15851895 Hi - I'm not an expert setting up the IE mode policies but one thing that jumped out is the InternetExplorerIntegrationSiteList policy which should be an XML file and not a specific website.  Here is an example format: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enterprise-mode-schema-version-...

Please check out some of the resources mentioned before to help with IE mode.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@rafalw15851895 Enabling IE mode is possible by either providing a list ("InternetExplorerIntegrationSiteList" policy) or enforcing/recommending a manual switch in Edge ("InternetExplorerIntegrationReloadInIEModeAllowed" policy) for users to use. You can also ask users to manually turn the switch on.

To use the list approach, set InternetExplorerIntegrationLevel to 1 and provide a list in a shared folder in your network that all users can read but not write:

KenChong_0-1652668251166.png

To set up the list I would recommend you use the Enterprise Site List Manager in Microsoft Edge | Microsoft Docs. This is the latest version which is integrated into Edge. The URL is edge://compat/SiteListManager. When finished, you are required to manually export to an XML file and save it to the shared folder you specified in the policy:

KenChong_1-1652668331879.png

If you want to edit the XML file just import it into the manager tool.

For the switch mentioned by @Kelly_Y, it is disabled by default, i.e. only use the Edge internal list to automatically switch to IE mode for incompatible sites confirmed by Microsoft. You can either ask users to manually turn it on or enforce/recommend it using GPO policy InternetExplorerIntegrationReloadInIEModeAllowed.

How users turn the switch on: Go to Settings > Default Browser > Internet Explorer compatibility or enter URL edge://settings/defaultBrowser, set Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode to Allow.

Change the setting to "Allow" enables the "Reload in Internet Explorer mode" menu item.Change the setting to "Allow" enables the "Reload in Internet Explorer mode" menu item.

KenChong_0-1652669756882.png

KenChong_4-1652669998467.png

Ken

@KenChong 

Thanks for Your answer. One of solutions is working and that is great. I'm able to open webpage in IE mode using Site List. But the problem is in second part. Even when I configured  "InternetExplorerIntegrationReloadInIEModeAllowed" policy I still don't see any of IE mode options from Settings > Default Browser .

@rafalw15851895 , glad that you go one step further!

@rafalw15851895 wrote:

@KenChong 

Thanks for Your answer. One of solutions is working and that is great. I'm able to open webpage in IE mode using Site List. But the problem is in second part. Even when I configured  "InternetExplorerIntegrationReloadInIEModeAllowed" policy I still don't see any of IE mode options from Settings > Default Browser .

The option is there even no policy is set. What is the version of Edge?

I just tested the InternetExplorerIntegrationReloadInIEModeAllowed (Allow unconfigured sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode) policy and it is working. Please note this policy requires Edge 92 or later, and the documentation says restarting Edge is required.

Setting enforced for "Allow unconfigured sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode" policy.Setting enforced for "Allow unconfigured sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode" policy.

If your policy changed the effective setting, restart is required.If your policy changed the effective setting, restart is required.

If you set it in the "Default Settings (user can override)" section, it will keep users' current setting if they set it before.

You can remove the InternetExplorerIntegrationTestingAllowed policy since it is obsolete and doesn't work after Edge 94.

Hi
Microsoft Edge: Version 101.0.1210.39 (Official build)
So version is higher than 92.
Machine was rebooted couple times .

Hi,

I had the same Problem. The IE Mode Settings is not availible at edge://settings/defaultBrowser even if I set the Policy, but it should be related to the OS. I have only the Problem on Windows Server 2016...

.. it's working on Server 2012 and Server 2019 only Server 2016 has this Issue.... any Idea?

By the way, I use Microsoft Edge: Version 102.0.1245.30 (Official build) (64-bit)

And Windows Server 2016 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.5125)

@Markus74 Hello! The local site list experience (Local site list for Internet Explorer (IE) mode | Microsoft Docs) isn't supported on Windows Server 2016.  

Kelly_Y_0-1654033499402.png

Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y that make no sense as I wrote bevor....

Windows Server 2012 is also not Supported but there ist the Option available and it works without any Problems. So that should be not the Problem...

@Markus74 Thanks for the feedback!   There are some underlying OS issues which have caused a delay in supporting the local site list for IE mode specifically on Windows Server 2016. The team is investigating and I have passed on your feedback to them. 

-Kelly

@KenChong 

Hi Ken,

I have just recently started following this email chain and I have tried what has been suggested and I have confirmed that we are on the latest version of Edge. 

I am running the Group Policy per computer since I do not have the rights to add it to the User Groups in AD. I have placed the Sites file in the Group Policy location on our server so that the computers have the rights to file. But we still cannot get it to run in IE Mode even though it shows it in Edge. Is this because it cannot be run via the computer settings in the Group Policy?

I have also removed the Group Policy so that there are no settings being applied now and we have manually tried it on computers after this. Any computer that was not previously tested manually in IE mode prior to the group policy despite Edge is no longer showing that it being managed by our organization, we cannot get it work with the manual settings that we have on the ones in which we had previously tested.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

@youngjedi

Hi John,

I see you mentioned AD, please note that local policy has the least priority.

You can first open the Internet Explorer mode diagnostic information (URL: edge://compat/iediagnostic) and take a look. If you are using policies you can also go to edge://policy/ and check which policies are applied.

For your reference, I use the following policies:

Configure Internet Explorer integration

(InternetExplorerIntegrationLevel)

Internet Explorer mode (1)

Configure the Enterprise Mode Site List

(InternetExplorerIntegrationSiteList)

[XML file location]

Note that although the official document says Allow unconfigured sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode (InternetExplorerIntegrationReloadInIEModeAllowed) should be enabled to allow users to manually switch sites to IE mode, I can use this function even if I have this policy "not configured".

Be sure to confirm your environment is meeting the prerequisites.

Regards,

Ken

Have you been able to figure this out? We have some users on W10 with Edge v100+ and they have the same symptoms: When going to edge://settings/defaultbrowser, they don't see the IE mode options at all.

@Greg_A 

Hi Greg, I did figure it out. 

What the setting were in the Sites.xml file was wrong. I at first used what was in the example that allowed me to copy and I had also tried the tool to make this work. But it would not work either way. I finally found someone in my organization but with a different department who had one that I was able to modify. I am not sure why MS would have offerings that would not work. And they did not necessarily give the best directions on creation of the sites list.

@youngjedi 

Ok that's good to know. I am using the enterprise cloud site list (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode-cloud-site-list-mgmt), but my Service Desk was reporting to me that there are some users that don't even have the IE mode settings available in edge.  @rafalw15851895 mentioned this issue also. For everything that I've tested, the cloud site list is working perfectly fine

Glad to hear that Greg. Looks like we both have our solutions.

@youngjedi 

Hi John,

Glad that you got it worked.

Note that it is better to use the Enterprise Site List Manager in Edge to ensure the Enterprise Mode Site List matches the latest schema version (currently schema v.2). You can go to the URL edge://compat/SiteListManager and import the current file. Remember, this tool is not updating in real-time. I will clear the list first, import the current file, edit as necessary, and export the result.

The standalone tool will continue to be available in the Download Center but won't get any feature updates.

Reference: Enterprise Site List Manager in Microsoft Edge | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Ken

@KenChong 

hi ken, 

Please i have an issue with my Microsoft edge not been able to reload in internet explorer mode, i am currently using the latest Microsoft edge Version 111.0.1661.54 (Official build) (64-bit), 

i have turned on allow site to be reloaded in IE mode, but whenever i try to reload a site in IE mode, it never switches to IE mode, and keep rolling as if trying to switch, i have uninstall and reinstall IE11 in optional features but the issue persist. 

pls what can i do, i need it for my work, because the company i work for runs a website only accessible on IE mode

expecting your reply. 

Regards

Gabriel