SOLVED

Internet Explorer Mode broken in Edge Dev Version 80.0.361.9

Brass Contributor

As of Edge Dev Version 80.0.361.9 Internet Explorer Mode is not working natively in Edge anymore and instead opens the link in a new Internet Explorer Window and showing a message in Edge stating "To open this page in Internet Explorer mode, reinstall Microsoft Edge with administrator privileges"

Internet Explorer Mode worked perfectly fine with Edge Dev Version 80.0.361.5

Needless to say (because it was working perfectly fine before), but it seems to be the standard question; Edge is installed in the Programs Files folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe

33 Replies

@GreatToHearFromYou 

Mine is still working OK in Dev 80.0.361.23. Win10 1909. 

Andrew

@AndrewSAIF 

Thanks for your reply Andrew! I just updated to 80.0.361.23 and for me it's still broken. Would you mind sharing your information in edge://compat/iediagnostic? My info is below:

clipboard_image_0.png

@GreatToHearFromYou 

Sure thing, here's mine. Maybe try changing your IE mode setting in flags? I am also using the IE Enterprise Mode sites list by itself since the Edge policy doesn't work by itself. 

2020-01-06_14-24-35.png

@AndrewSAIF 

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated! I have now matched the settings to yours, but unfortunately still a no-go, as you can see at the top of the image below, it still gives me the same message. Do you have these Policies set at User Level or at Computer Level? I currently have them at Computer Level, but if you applied them at User Level, I will match that as well. I also wonder why you have more information in your Command Line section (blurred out), I understand it's sensitive information, but is there anything in the blurred section related to IE Mode?

clipboard_image_0.png

@GreatToHearFromYou 

Hi there,

The Internet Explorer Integration policies are set at machine level.

The part I blurred out was the URL of a web page I happened to be on. Not sure why it included it there; maybe something to do with SSO on that page. If I go there now without that page loaded, it does not include it in the command line section. 

Andrew

@AndrewSAIF 

I'm currently fighting with the exact same issue......

@AndrewSAIF 

Before I received your reply I tested setting it all at User Level and that didn't make any difference. I tried the Beta versions (Public and Enterprise) as well thinking they do not have the change yet that broke IE Mode, however, they are broken as well, which makes me think that a Windows update of some sort may be the culprit. If I could only move back to Edge Dev Version 80.0.361.5, I could test that theory.

@GreatToHearFromYou 

We had that issue on one of our users machines yesterday with a new install of edge beta.  This morning it worked after an update and restart.  I did notice that your settings are different in that we have sitelists identified in both IE and Edge...

clipboard_image_0.png

@Wallis10 

Hi! Thanks for you input! I had high hopes, because when checking "Help and Feedback > About Microsoft Edge", it started installing a new update for Dev to version 81.0.381.0, unfortunately it is still a no-go. I have also tried the Beta (version 79.0.309.60) and that is a no-go as well. Initially I had the website list set for both the IE Policy and the Edge Policy when I first reported the issue. However when @AndrewSAIF reported the IE Mode in his Edge install was working just fine without the Edge Policy, I matched his settings, unfortunately to no avail. I will try setting the Edge Policy back again and see if that makes a difference.

@GreatToHearFromYou 

Hey, I tried the most updated version of dev channel and it works fine to me.

clipboard_image_0.png

Could you do another update and give a try again?

Thanks,

Ning

@nizhon 

Hi! Thanks for joining in. Yes, I downloaded the latest version today, see my last message, but that still popped out Internet Explorer in a separate Window. I've worked on a complete clean computer this evening, not on the domain, and installed the latest Dev version on it. Then matched all the local IE and Edge policy settings to those of our Domain policy and it works just fine, IE Mode works natively within Edge on that computer, so I am really baffled what is breaking it on our Domain computers. It's frustrating, because everything was working as it should, and we were ready to go live shortly after January 15 when Microsoft is planning to update the old Edge with Edge Chromium. However, then 80.0.361.9 came along and that broke IE mode for us.

@Daniel_Capadona 

I'm sorry to hear that you seem to have the same problem. Did you happen to find a solution?

@GreatToHearFromYou 

Hi, I have not found a solution yet.  I have tried several versions of Windows 10 with different versions of Edge Beta.  I'll make sure I have the newest version out there and try again.  One thing I found is that if I remove IE 11, then nothing opens.  If I have IE 11 installed, it opens in a completely new window, but the error still pops up.  Very strange.  I almost wonder if there is another GPO that is messing with it.....

@Daniel_Capadona 

Thanks for your reply! Yes, IE11 is definitely needed in able to have IE Mode run properly in Edge. Edge doesn't have the IE engine built-in, it uses it from the installed IE11. So yes, you do have exact the same problem, IE pops out in a new Window and Edge shows the "administrator privileges" message, neither one should happen. Did you ever got it working properly before, or did you always have this problem? When testing it on a Windows 7 computer (even though we're phasing them out right now) I see an IE Error that requires to close the program, see print screen below. This happens before receiving the "administrator privileges" message. Only when I click "Close the program" the "administrator privileges" message appears in Edge and IE opens in a new windows instead of within Edge. That made me wonder if the same error happens in Windows 10, but get suppressed and sure enough, when checking the Event Viewer, I saw the error in the print screen below. Now I will have to concentrate on that error to see what that is all about.

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

@GreatToHearFromYou 

Thanks for the info!  I did not know about IE needing to stay on there.  I was hoping I would be able to remove it once I roll out Edge just to make it cleaner and so nobody uses it anymore unless it's needed for compatibility.  : )
All of my testing has been with Windows 10 to this point.  I could try to spin up a Windows 7, but it sounds like you already verified it's the same issue.  I'll put IE back on my test machines and install the latest version of Edge Dev too.  Right now I am only setting 2 things in group policy under the computer config.  Just the IE integration setting and then the setting for sending all intranet sites to IE.
I'll keep playing, but thanks for all the info.

Well, IE Mode can work based on lots of factors and it's hard to diagnostic immediately. That's why the diagnostic page(edge://compat/iediagnostic) is important right now. We will have more features on that page which can help diagnostic the failure reasons further.
Just to clarify, you are using the same setting for two machines, and the domain joined one fails to launch IE mode, but the other one works just fine?

@nizhon 

Thanks for your reply! Yes, IE Mode on the computers joined to our Domain stopped working when Edge Dev Version 80.0.361.9 was installed and it has been broken ever since. I've indeed set up a quick test computer not joined to our domain and I only matched the Edge and Internet Explorer Policy settings including the XML site list, just to rule out if anything was incorrect with these settings and IE Mode on that laptop worked just fine. In the meantime I have also ruled out our anti-virus. The next step is to set up a laptop from scratch, join it to our domain without any policies applied, and then apply our policies one-by-one to hopefully figure out at what point IE Mode breaks.

@GreatToHearFromYou 

We have had the same problem, but once it broke after a version upgrade, it broke across all versions (dev/beta/canary/stable). 

@dmcaylor 

Hi,

Yes, same for us, it broke all versions. Now we have 3 users (you, @Daniel_Capadona and I) on this forum with the same problem, I am sure more will come and hopefully we can find a common denominator between us. Unfortunately I haven't had the time yet to start from scratch and add our policies one-by-one to see if it is one of our other policies causing it.

@GreatToHearFromYou I have noticed that it appears to be profile specific. I don't think it is policy related. A new user signing on to the affected PC has no issues even with the same policies applied.

I've fully uninstalled all versions, deleted the Edge folders under appdata/local/Microsoft/, and entries in the registry, but after a reinstall the issue is still there for the user profile with the issue.  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GreatToHearFromYou (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@GreatToHearFromYou @dmcaylor There is a known issue being worked on right now which casues IE not to validate a Microsoft signature on a dll shipped with Edge. If you are affected by this bug, you will be find a Microsoft certificate in the "Trusted Publishers" folder in certmgr.msc that matches the one Edge is being signed with.  The workaround would be to remove this cert from Trusted Publishers until we get a fix out. 

View solution in original post