SOLVED

Install/Update Edge on Server using WSUS

Iron Contributor

Hello.

Our company is planning to deploy MS Edge on the terminal server infrastructure.

We use MS Server 2016.

1. Can we deploy Edge on Server 2016 by installing an update via WSUS?

2. Can we install the monthly Edge updates on Server 2016 by installing updates via WSUS?

Thanks for your help.

htcfreek

6 Replies

@htcfreek Hello!  Yes, you can deploy MS Edge to Windows Server 2016 using WSUS.  Please see the following for more information: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/faqs-edge-in-the-enterprise#does-wsus-support-the-initia... 

Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y wrote:

@htcfreek Hello!  Yes, you can deploy MS Edge to Windows Server 2016 using WSUS.  Please see the following for more information: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/faqs-edge-in-the-enterprise#does-wsus-support-the-initia... 

Thanks! 

-Kelly

Hi @Kelly_Y .

Thank you for your answer.

I know about the updates on WSUS. But the updates (initial install and update to new version) on WSUS that I know are marked as compatible with Windows 10 Version 1809 to 2004 and not as compatible for Windows Server 2016 (LTSC) and Windows Server 2019 (LTSC). - Same on Microsoft Update Cataloge.

Are there any other updates (initial install and update to new version) on WSUS or Update Cataloge which are compatible to Windows Server 2016 (LTSC) and Windows Server 2019 (LTSC)? Can you please write me the KB numbers of the updates for Edge on Windows Server, if you know them?

Best regards and thank you.

htcfreek

@htcfreek Hello!  Windows Server 2016 is included in the Supported OS documentation and MS Edge should be installed just like Windows 10.  

Microsoft Edge Supported Operating Systems | Microsoft Docs

You mentioned Microsoft Update Catalog, I can see there are multiple packages for KB4584642 (Update in WSUS for the new Microsoft Edge for Windows 10, version 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004: Octobe...) on the site Microsoft Update Catalog

Capture.JPG

Let me know if you are seeing differently or if you are encountering any errors.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y wrote:

@htcfreek Hello!  Windows Server 2016 is included in the Supported OS documentation and MS Edge should be installed just like Windows 10.  

Microsoft Edge Supported Operating Systems | Microsoft Docs

You mentioned Microsoft Update Catalog, I can see there are multiple packages for KB4584642 (Update in WSUS for the new Microsoft Edge for Windows 10, version 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004: Octobe...) on the site Microsoft Update Catalog

Capture.JPG

Let me know if you are seeing differently or if you are encountering any errors.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y 

As you can see in your image, the updates are only supported for the client version of windows 10 and not for the server operating system version (Windows Server 2016 and 2019). Or is this a mistake in the update description?

(Btw: I know about the updates and we use it since months on our clients.)

I will try later if I can install the updates on server operating systems too.

best response confirmed by htcfreek (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Kelly_Y

I have tested the updates in a test environment:

- WSUS-Server: Server 2016

- WSUS-Client who received the updates from WSUS: Server 2016

Test results:

1. The initial install of edge on Server 2016 (WSUS-Client) isn't possible with one of the updates from WSUS. (The Windows Server 2016 doesn't show me KB4584642 as available for installation.)

2. After installing Edge (via MSI) on the WSUS-Client and installing all Windows updates it was possible to patch the installed Edge with the updates form WSUS. [Update name: Microsoft Edge-Stable Channel <Version> for x64-Editions (Build <Build-Version>)]

• You should update the description of the updates. At the moment it says the following: "It applies to Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10-based systems." ("Windows Server 2016" and "Windows server 2019" are missing here.)

Best regards.

htcfreek

@htcfreek Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the feedback!  I do see we've had recent internal conversations to update the wording of the description you pointed out.  Thanks again! 

-Kelly

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by htcfreek (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Kelly_Y

I have tested the updates in a test environment:

- WSUS-Server: Server 2016

- WSUS-Client who received the updates from WSUS: Server 2016

Test results:

1. The initial install of edge on Server 2016 (WSUS-Client) isn't possible with one of the updates from WSUS. (The Windows Server 2016 doesn't show me KB4584642 as available for installation.)

2. After installing Edge (via MSI) on the WSUS-Client and installing all Windows updates it was possible to patch the installed Edge with the updates form WSUS. [Update name: Microsoft Edge-Stable Channel <Version> for x64-Editions (Build <Build-Version>)]

• You should update the description of the updates. At the moment it says the following: "It applies to Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10-based systems." ("Windows Server 2016" and "Windows server 2019" are missing here.)

Best regards.

htcfreek

View solution in original post