SOLVED

IE mode page zoom is 25% greater than Edge zoom

Copper Contributor

Below is original post.  It turns out that the zoom setting of the embedded IE mode page is the Edge tab zoom factor times the windows scale factor.  Thus on a machine with windows scale at 125%, the results I originally described below occur.  If the windows scale factor is 150% then with Edge set to zoom of 100%, an embedded IE mode page is set to 150%.

So the question becomes: how to prevent the windows scale factor affecting the IE mode page zoom factor...  We want the Edge and IE mode page to have the *same* zoom factor.

An Edge tab with zoom = 100% containing an IE mode page will set the zoom for the IE mode page to 125%.  Changing the Edge tab zoom to 80% results in an IE mode page zoom of 100%

Why are these not equal?  This causes issues in an application that depends upon 100% zoom for proper rendering...and runs in IE mode.

Thanks.

18 Replies
Maybe since it is using the same files as IE, the default zoom in IE is 200% and it may be the issue? Since the default and zoom levels are conflicting?

Should send feedback about this.

@Deleted  Thanks for that reply....it gives me some good food for thought.  I am running on a 4k monitor...  Will investigate.

I have a question, how do you tell the zoom levels of a ie page?

@Deleted In this app it happens to be showing a bottom status bar that includes the zoom level.  You certainly aren't going to find out by using the F12 debugger :)

Okay, I see.

It is probably that IE and Edge have different definitions of what is that percentage as I said IE and Edge have different default zoom levels.
read://https_www.thewindowsclub.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thewindowsclub.com%2Fchange-zoom-level-in-internet-explorer%23%3A~%3Atext%3DOpen%2520Internet%2520Explorer%2520%253E%2520Tools%2520%253E%2520Zoom.%2520Select%2CYou%2520can%2520also%2520set%2520a%2520custom%2520zoom%2520level.

Try looking at this link, since it mentions you can set a registry to set a default zoom level in IE to fix it I guess?

** Please note that I am not a Microsoft employee just a fan trying to help and this is not a official microsfot page and should be looked at with cation.

Thanks,

Shawn

@Deleted   sorry, not an app, just a view setting:

RWalker2_0-1611323247642.png

How do you do that in IE Mode in Edge?

@RWalker2 

When I go in IE mode, I dont' see that option to show the status bar, I dont' see a tab option in IE mode either except the edge one and I only can get the right click ui.

I am thinking it is still zoomed out since it is still using IE app.

Maybe changing the zoom level in IE app then go in IE mode and that helps?

I do see it is zoomed in a bit.

Thanks,

Should send feedback about this and so will I

Shawn

@Deleted Can't find any way to show the status bar manually in IE mode. I think this was shown due to how the page is being displayed by the webapp, and also what emulation mode is being used. I don't know all the details about this webapp as I'm just beginning to work with it.

Okay, I would just send feedback about this. If you manually change the zoom levels in IE does that fix it?

@RWalker2 I've been told by MS that this is a known issue and a fix to IE is planned by the end of March 2021 Windows Updates

@holbs I really appreciate the feedback!  Is this info from MS somewhere online that I can link to for my management folks?  Thanks.

best response confirmed by RWalker2 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@RWalker2 It's not anywhere online that I have seen. I have raised a premier support call with the browsers team who fed this back to me:

We have a known issue with the following reproduction steps:

(IEMode renders page abnormally on single-screen computers because the zoom/scale of the page is intermittently below the expected zoom/scale)

1. Preparation:
- configure Windows Settings -> Display -> to use a scaling of 100%
- change the Zoom to 125% in edge://settings/appearance
- create a URL-shortcut to a site that had been configured to IE-Mode.
- close all instances of Edge

2. doubleclick the shortcut so it opens a tab in Edge (using IE-Mode)
3. repeat step 2 about 10 times, till the newly opened tab opens in 100% zoom instead of the 125%

Once the issue occurs the IE Mode page keeps remaining in 100% zoom, no matter the zoom level in Edge
To reproduce the issue again -> either new Profile or rename the User Data. IE Mode page starts off good with zoom level matching Edge’s and after a couple of tabs just changes to 100%

We currently plan to address this issue through a change in Internet Explorer within the Preview Updates for Windows 10 Version 1809 and above by end of March 2021.

They then followed up with:

There are 3 fixes/variants of the bug itself, and it does not matter if this is backwards (for us, our Windows scaling was 150 and Edge was 100).

What does matter is that the zoom level is different between the OS and EDGE Chromium, which is true for you.

Thanks for the details! Here's hoping it is fixed as anticipated...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RWalker2 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@RWalker2 It's not anywhere online that I have seen. I have raised a premier support call with the browsers team who fed this back to me:

We have a known issue with the following reproduction steps:

(IEMode renders page abnormally on single-screen computers because the zoom/scale of the page is intermittently below the expected zoom/scale)

1. Preparation:
- configure Windows Settings -> Display -> to use a scaling of 100%
- change the Zoom to 125% in edge://settings/appearance
- create a URL-shortcut to a site that had been configured to IE-Mode.
- close all instances of Edge

2. doubleclick the shortcut so it opens a tab in Edge (using IE-Mode)
3. repeat step 2 about 10 times, till the newly opened tab opens in 100% zoom instead of the 125%

Once the issue occurs the IE Mode page keeps remaining in 100% zoom, no matter the zoom level in Edge
To reproduce the issue again -> either new Profile or rename the User Data. IE Mode page starts off good with zoom level matching Edge’s and after a couple of tabs just changes to 100%

We currently plan to address this issue through a change in Internet Explorer within the Preview Updates for Windows 10 Version 1809 and above by end of March 2021.

They then followed up with:

There are 3 fixes/variants of the bug itself, and it does not matter if this is backwards (for us, our Windows scaling was 150 and Edge was 100).

What does matter is that the zoom level is different between the OS and EDGE Chromium, which is true for you.

View solution in original post