Group policy to set managed storage for an extension in Chromium Edge for Mac

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to install a browser extension in Chromium Edge for both Windows and Mac.
My extension has a schema for the managed storage that I'm deploying alongside the extension using the Extensions Policy.
In Windows everything works as expected, the extension gets installed using the ForceInstall policy and has access to the managed storage value.
In MacOS however the extension does get installed using the ForceInstall but it does not have access to the managed storage value... looking at the policies in the Profiles I do see that it's present.

I followed the same rules as Google Chrome by using a mobileConfig file that I'm adding to the Profiles.

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/configuring-policy-for-extensions
For the ForceInstall policy:

<key>com.microsoft.Edge</key>
<dict>
<key>Forced</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>mcx_preference_settings</key>
<dict>
<key>ExtensionInstallForcelist</key>
<array>
<string>[MyExtensionID];[LinkToMyUpdateXml]</string>
</array>
</dict>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>

For the extension policy:

<key>com.microsoft.Edge.extensions.[MyExtensionID]</key>
<dict>
<key>Forced</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>mcx_preference_settings</key>
<dict>
<key>extensionConfig</key>
<string>"Value of the extension config"</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>

I'm probably not doing something correctly and would appreciate some assistance.
Thanks.

3 Replies

@talonlev I don't have a solution for you, but I'm looking for the Windows solution and can't figure it out. It looks like you did. Would you mind posting how you got this working for Chromium Edge on Windows?

@nikrolls It actually works exactly like in Chrome.
You need to define the schema of the storage you want to use (detailed here https://developer.chrome.com/apps/manifest/storage#manifest).
After that you need to add the correct registry value like this:
[HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\3rdparty\extensions\{YOUR EXTENSION ID}\policy\]
"objectFromSchema"={"prop1":"value1", "prop2": "value2"}

@talonlev I really appreciate the followup considering this is an older thread. I'll give your instructions a go!