Going from IE mode site to a smartcard authenticated site in the same tab

Copper Contributor

Hello.  Thought I would beat the drum again :)

Has anyone noticed an issue while going from an IE Mode tab and then trying to click to a smartcard authenticated site and it never shows the smartcard selection box?  If you go from a tab that is not in IE Mode and it goes through correctly?  It will spin and spin and "processing request" for at least 5 minutes before I gave up and closed the tab.

I submitted this via feedback but thought I might toss it out here also.

Thanks!

@mhousler 

10 Replies

Still an issue as of version 84.0.522.63.

Still an issue as of 85.0.564.44.

:sad: 

@mhousler Hi!  Thanks for reaching out!  I've connected with the IE Mode team and they've suggested you may need to configure the site as a neutral site.  Here is more information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode-sitelist#configure-neutral-sites

-Kelly 

@Kelly_Y 

Hi Kelly, thanks for the response.

Do you mean to put the site that requires the CAC authentication in as a neutral site?

This happens on *any* site that requires CAC authentication when I go from an IE Mode tab so it wouldn't really be practical to try to add them all :)

I did test one and while "Neutral" didn't work, it did work if I put the CAC site in IE Mode also.  Still not really a solution though as IE mode seems to break other things on the site.

@mhousler Hi - Thanks for the additional information!  I'm currently checking with the IE Mode team and have passed on the details.  

-Kelly

@Shilpa_Subramanian as FYI

@Kelly_Y , @Shilpa_Subramanian 

Hi Kelly,

In case it's helpful, here is a site where the behavior occurs.  I think you will need to actually have certificates loaded on your profile so that Edge can use them (obviously none will actually get you access to the site).  It will prompt you to select the correct cert, so long as you access from a non-IE mode site, of course.  This is one of the CAC sites we use here all the time.  https://nmd.sscno.nmci.navy.mil/nmd/Availability

Thanks again!

Mark Housler

Our company has the same problem. The corporate portal only works in enterprise mode. But other internal resources only work correctly under new browsers.

Attached a screenshot. When opening in Edge with an empty tab, the request occurs. When opening in IE11, the request occurs. If the site is open in enterprise mode in Edge, the request does not occur.

It doesn't work if I enter a link in the address bar, or select from favorites.

Is there a workaround?

@EvgeniyJin 

The only workaround I can find is to first go to a page that is not in IE Mode and then it works.  Not much of a workaround, I know.

Mark Housler

@mhousler 

Thanks for the answer.

In my case, this is not the solution. The home page for all users is a corporate portal. Bosses will not understand if they need to open a new page to work with the site.

@Kelly_Y , I just wanted to mention that this issue appears fixed, as least in 

Version 86.0.622.68 (Official build) (64-bit) although it may have been previously and I missed it.

My users and I thank you!