Favorites and UEV support

Brass Contributor

Hi,

The old Edge has a Group Policy setting to set Favorites to be shared with Internet Explorer - which was good. When someone had to switch to IE, their Favorites were still there.

We're also using Microsoft UEV for roaming of IE Favorites, to allow users to log in to different workstations and still have their favorites and settings.

Questions:

1) Will the new Edge have UEV support, and/or a UEV template published for it - for the roaming of bookmarks, passwords etc?  This is a must for Enterprise deployment on Windows 10.

2) Will the new Edge support using the same favorites/bookmarks as IE? 

Thanks!

Yours

MobyDude

24 Replies

@Thilo Langbein , oh well, not for a long time, I had tested it for two hours and it worked well :)

We'd also love either of two things to make favorites management a lot easier:

1. A way to redirect the "bookmarks" file from "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default" to a network location.

or 2. a way for the new Edge to employ the same "keep favorites synced between (the old) Edge and Internet Explorer" group policy, which would sync the favorites with a folder on a network drive that has been placed there by a "Folder Redirection" policy.

Syncing favorites using a Microsoft account is not an option because we cannot use any of that or any cloud related features due to data privacy regulations.

And keeping the favorites file on a network share is essential for us since our users are working on multiple computers and need to have the same bookmarks on all of them. Also not having them stored on the local machines would help a lot when replacing computers or when the harddisks fail and the local files with be lost forever.

@narutards 

Moving "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default" to a network location is possible via GPO using "set the user data directory" policy. 

Can change to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default" to use with Windows Roaming Profile.

If so you may want to exclude the cache folders from being roaming

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\cache

Why Microsoft making this so complicated? Chrome roaming/UE-V support is much easier  

@nivlacckw 

I definitely do not want to use the "UserDataDir" policy to move the entire profile folder (even excluding the cache folder) to a different location. I only care about the favorites/bookmarks.

I mean, the stored passwords would be interesting too, but afaik those aren't transferable between devices anyway, considering it uses the Data Protection API.

And syncing with the Microsoft cloud through a Microsoft account is not an option either because of data privacy regulations.

FYI this is also being discussed at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/keep-favorites-synced-between-internet-explorer-a..., where it appears Microsoft is adding support for Chromium's RoamingProfileSupportEnabled feature to help backup the bookmarks to another location.  Posting here in case anyone isn't aware of the other thread.