ExemptDomainFileTypePairsFromFileTypeDownloadWarnings policy

Iron Contributor

I am trying to configure the ExemptDomainFileTypePairsFromFileTypeDownloadWarnings policy to allow EML and MSG attachments from our HR systems to be downloaded automatically, without having to allow them.

edge error.png

We use DNS aliases, so I have whitelisted ".hrm.app.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appdev.ourcompany.com" and ".hrm.appacc.ourcompany.com", as I read in the documentation that you need to start with a period to match that specific entry.  We don't want to whitelist our entire domain if possible, for security reasons.

I have configured this through Group Policy using the example in the documentation, and it loads correctly in the edge://policy list.  Its strange that "domains" and "file_extension" are swapped around, although it says OK.  In edge://policy I have the following:

{ "domains": [ ".hrm.app.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appacc.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appdev.ourcompany.com" ], "file_extension": "eml" } ,{ "domains": [ ".hrm.app.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appacc.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appdev.ourcompany.com" ], "file_extension": "msg" }

But this doesn't work, my users still receive the message that they first need to allow the file.  Is there somewhere I can check the internal processing of these rules?  I don't see anything in DevTools, unless I am looking in the wrong place.

Has anybody successfully implemented this policy?

15 Replies

@Tom_Fox Hi!  There have been some recent discussions about this same policy.  Re: SmartScreen turned off -> Java Webstart JNLP Files are marked as "can harm your computer - Micro...

Also, separately we've had a user mention that if using the GP editor "each file_extension MUST be entered on a separate line in the editor, or the policy will not apply." 

-Kelly

Hi @Kelly_Y,

Sorry for my late reply to this. After extensive testing, we can confirm that this policy works fine when we specify server names, but fails when we use DNS aliases. I believe this a bug. Please can you ask your Dev Team to replicate this to confirm.

I tried looking in the DevTools logs when launching a download, to see if I can find a check on these rules, but didn't find anything. Can you confirm if there is some logging generated when downloading?

Tom Fox

@Tom_Fox Hi!  I've reached out to the team about the issue you are having with DNS aliases.  We will follow up with any insights from them.  Thanks!

-Kelly

Hi Kelly,
Are you able to offer the syntax for multi files types on a single domain? We use MEM and OMA-URI to achieve this, but struggling to get more than one file type accepted.
Thanks,
Alex

@astee1280 

You need to put each file extension on a new line. In my example, this is as follows:

{"file_extension": "eml", "domains": [ ".hrm.app.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appacc.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appdev.ourcompany.com" ] }

{"file_extension": "msg", "domains": [ ".hrm.app.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appacc.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appdev.ourcompany.com" ] }

Hi @Tom_Fox,

Our current working example is;
<Enabled/><data id="ExemptDomainFileTypePairsFromFileTypeDownloadWarningsDesc" value='1&#xF000;{"file_extension": "eml", "domains": ["mydomain"]}'/>

Should the 2 line example be;

<Enabled/><data id="ExemptDomainFileTypePairsFromFileTypeDownloadWarningsDesc" value='1&#xF000;{"file_extension": "eml", "domains": [ ".hrm.app.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appacc.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appdev.ourcompany.com" ] }, {"file_extension": "msg", "domains": [ ".hrm.app.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appacc.ourcompany.com", ".hrm.appdev.ourcompany.com" ] }'/>

Would you be able to copy out your working string?

Thanks,
Alex

@astee1280 

How are you configuring this setting, through Group Policy, InTune or directly in the registry?

Tom

@Tom_Fox

Via MEM (Intune). They are set as OMA-URI strings.
@astee1280 I'm not familiar with Intune but found this example of multiple items in Edge policies. I hope you can work it out. Search for multiple on this page

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/configure-edge-with-mdm
Hi Astee1280, Did you ever work this out? I'm trying to get the OMA-URI settings right for this setting for intune too.
@Tom_Fox
Did you ever get this to work for you?

-Shon

@TofuFace 

Unfortunately not. Used Device configuration profile - Settings Catalog instead. 

@astee1280 

I finally got this to work, incase you or anyone else want to know how I did it let me know!

-Shon

Please share the syntax. Thanks

@astee1280 

Sure! Create (2) keys under:  Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge

Regkeys1.png

Under AutoOpenFileTypes, create a string and name it "1" and add value "jnlp" no quotes

jnlp.jpg

Create another string under: ExemptDomainFileTypePairsFromFileTypeDownloadWarnings

Also named "1" with the following value:  

{"file_extension": "jnlp", "domains": ["yourDomain"]}

testDomain.jpg

That's it! Hope this works for you!

-Shon