Enterprise Mode Site List : Staging environment version for developers / testers

Copper Contributor

Has anyone documented how you set up the group policies so that Edge on developers and testers machines refers to a different "staging" version of a Enterprise Mode Site List?

Also is there a simple way to temporarily point a laptop to a different site list?

3 Replies

@jmsoulsby 

I think there are probably 3 options:

• Set up a separate GPO for your devs/testers with a separate site list
  • Set up a separate GPO and do not specify a site list, and set a local site list in the registry that your devs and testers can edit
  • Have devs/testers run Edge using the --ie-mode-test switch, which allows you to pick which engine you want to use for a tab in the UI. 

The third option seemed easiest and is what we are using for testing. 

Thanks for your reply @AndrewSAIF 

What I want to achieve is that I can test a URL opening in standalone IE, Default Mode.

Hence overruling the production EMSL that states that that URL should open in standalone IE, IE5 Mode.

Options 1 and 2 would probably be possible in our setup (maybe a sub OU and a dedicated test Edge policy set on that)

Option 3 would seem the simplest, were it not for the fact that I can't get it to work, or I don't understand, and need more assistance:

I have created a shortcut on the desktop with target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --ie-mode-test

Is that what you meant?

Question: When I start Edge using this shortcut, where in the UI do I specify the engine.

The optimal solution would be that by setting a flag, I could specify a different EMSL.

@jmsoulsby

Sorry for the delay in response. It should be under More Tools in the main menu:

AndrewSAIF_0-1592265052993.png