SOLVED

Enable Favorites Bar policy recommended set to only on new tabs

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am currently testing the latest stable release of Edge and have found that when I set Enable Favorites Bar policy as Recommended, it sets it to "Only on new tabs" is there any way to get it to Always display?

farazd1_0-1587375983807.png

13 Replies

@farazd1 

The Policy seems to be broken since 81.0.416.58

With 81.0.416.53 it worked quite fine. Seems here is an new bug.

@Joachim_T 

Thank you, looks like they fix one thing and then break another with these updates

@farazd1 

Yes. Happens much to often in my opinion. It scares me that the main enterprise applications depent on this instable moving target soon. it will let me overthink my rollout plans

I know what you mean, we were thinking about letting it auto update but not too confident in that anymore. We'll need to make sure we test on the beta versions properly

@farazd1

Looks like the policy is only broken for "Default Settings (users can override) "

I still can force favorite bar for all users. Seems i have no choice. I need to force it to be enabled for all users on enterprise wide rollout. Hope Microsoft will provide a fix as fast as they have broken it.:facepalm:

@Joachim_T 

Yes it works when set as mandatory, we're only testing at the moment so hopefully it gets fixed soon

@farazd1 

Just tried with Beta 81.0.416.62. bug is still there

best response confirmed by farazd1 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@farazd1 

Just tried with Beta 83.0.478.13. seems to be fixed there

@Joachim_T 

Great good to know that its fixed, i'll test that beta version to make sure everything else works too

@farazd1 

It looks like this is broken again in Stable 84 through Canary 86.0.594.0. Setting as mandatory does still work. 

Andrew

@farazd1 @AndrewSAIF  Thank you for your patience as we look into this! I wanted to make sure I have the correct understanding of the behavior you're experiencing and how that meets or does not meet your expectations. 

When setting a policy as Recommended, this will not change existing settings for previous installs. However, the user will be able to tell whether their current option matches or diverges from the recommended setting when they view the option in edge://settings. 

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, would you be able to help me understand the steps you're taking to test this policy out? Thanks for your feedback and engagement.

@JillianK 

Hi Jillian,

Thanks for checking in. I understand that setting a recommended policy does not override a user's currently selected setting. The bug is that there are 3 possible user-facing selections for this setting, and 2 options available when adding a recommended policy. One of the options in policy is not mapped to the correct user setting. 

Selecting a value of '1' in policy should set the 'Show favorites bar' setting to 'Always', but it instead sets it to 'Only on new tabs'. 

When we deployed Edge, we made the decision to just make the Favorites Bar mandatory to avoid this bug, so I haven't dealt with this recently. But I was able to duplicate the issue on Edge Dev 88 just now. 

It should be possible to duplicate the issue by setting Administrative Templates/Microsoft Edge - Default Settings (users can override)/Enable Favorites bar to 1 (enabled), then deleting the %appdata%\Microsoft\Edge (version)\User Data folder to replicate a first run experience. The favorites bar will be visible initially, but will hide itself. When you view the setting in Settings>Appearance, it will be set to 'Only on new tabs'. 

Let me know if more detail is needed. Thanks!

Andrew

@AndrewSAIF 

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the added detail-- I'm able to reproduce the issue on my end as well. I'll investigate with our engineering team and report back with any progress. Your feedback is much appreciated!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by farazd1 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@farazd1 

Just tried with Beta 83.0.478.13. seems to be fixed there

View solution in original post