Edge Kiosk: Blank-target links open in same tab/window

Brass Contributor

For many years, I have used IE in kiosk mode for terminals that are supposed to grant access to a catalogue website. I combined the "Custom User Interface" policy with -k to open the website in kiosk mode in IE.

It was exactly what I needed. Users couldn't exit IE and couldn't enter URLs but they were able to use the catalogue and open any links they found in it. Links with the target attribute (target="_blank") left the catalogue and would open in a new window so that the catalogue was still visible and accessible in the background and no navigational problems arose.

I am now trying to recreate this with Edge. Now it's "Custom User Interface" and --kiosk. Easy enough.  But: Clicking on a link (target="_blank") opens the link in the same window/tab. Sadly, this kills my concept. Kiosk mode has no navigation buttons so my users can't come back to the catalogue if a link carries them away. And even with navigation, the catalogue wouldn't be the main focus anymore. The next user gets whatever page the last user left him with and has no clue how to get back to the catalogue.

Is this the intended link behaviour for the Edge kiosk mode? Is there a policy to force those links to open in a new window? And if not, are there any plans to include this in the future?

Thank you for your time.

8 Replies

@abadiya, just wondering if you found a solution for this issue?  I am having a similar problem. 

Thanks, John

Sadly, my solution was to keep using IE. Since those computers are in kiosk mode and heavily restricted I'm not losing sleep over it (yet), but I had hoped it would only be a temporary situation because it is heavily unprofessional. I have not had time to deal with the issue since then, but your question implies that Edge still behaves like that. That's frustrating. :( If you find a solution please let me know.

@abadiya Thanks for the reply.  Yes, it appears to be still the case.  We're looking at using the "public browsing" option rather than "fullscreen".  It's a little more open than we'd like (makes the browser tabs visible) but appears to be the best workaround.

Thanks John, I will have a look at that too!
I am facing the same exact issue and it has been frustrating trying to find a solution. How is the public browsing experience working for those of you who have tried it?
I'm on it again. But I don't understand how the public browsing option is supposed to work as a kiosk. When I use it with the "Custom User Interface" policy ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --kiosk https://www.examplewebsite.de --edge-kiosk-type=public-browsing) Chromium Edge opens as a window that can be MOVED and CLOSED. Behind the window is blackness. When I close the window it does not restart. I'm just left with blackness. That is not suitable for a kiosk. Am I missing something?
Did you succeed, John? I'm once again trying to get my Edge kiosk running because IE is causing more and more problems. But I don't understand how the public browsing option is supposed to work as a kiosk. When I use it with the "Custom User Interface" policy ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --kiosk https://www.examplewebsite.de --edge-kiosk-type=public-browsing) Chromium Edge opens as a window that can be MOVED and CLOSED. Behind the window is blackness. When I close the window it does not restart. I'm just left with blackness. That is not suitable for a kiosk. Am I missing something?
I'm also having the same issue, previously in IE links would open in a new window but there seems to be no way to get this to work in fullscreen edge kiosk and you just get trapped on a page with no way to leave it or navigate back