Edge Chromium changes the operating system language

Copper Contributor

If the Edge Chromium Browser is installed immediately after installing the operating system - without opening the old Edge Browser at least once - the Windows operating system language (User display Language and Welcome Page) is changed to English.

Browser Version: 79.0.309.71

7 Replies

@berwan 

Your description gives much room for "guessing" what happened.

Please clarify this: "Windows operating system language (User display Language and Welcome Page) is changed to English" => Are you sure you mean the UI-Language of the Windows OS, or do you mean the GUI-Language of EdgeChromium?

Are you installing EdgeChromium side-by-side to EdgeLegacy or as a replacement?

How are you Installing EdgeChromium? As an MSI-Package? In which phase of the OS-Deployment (I guess you use unattended Setups) are you doing your EdgeChromium-Installation?

We use Win10 Multilanguage (German/English/French) too, we have German as default and install EdgeChromium MSI Package during unattended Setup of the machines - right before even a first user logs on - and everything regarding the Language Settings work as expected (GUI of Windows is German an can manually switched to EN/FR by the user, Language of EdgeChromium does the same).

@Gunnar Haslinger 

Thanks for your answer :smile:

I mean the OS UI-Language. What also surprises me :suprised:

Edge Chromium is installed as a replacement. Not side-by-side.

The installation package was created with the new SCCM feature "Microsoft Edge Management":

image.png

powershell -File ".\Install-Edge.ps1" -MSIName "MicrosoftEdgeEnterpriseX64.msi" -ChannelID "{56eb18f8-b008-4cbd-b6d2-8c97fe7e9062}"

image.png

The Powershell script that Microsoft created and used for installation is attached.

We are still in the test phase, so the package will be installed immediately after the installation (via Software Center). So not yet installed in the task sequence.

To create the Screenshots here, I installed a VM (Hyper-V) today. Here the error did not occur!

Then I took a laptop again (HP EliteBook 850 G4). Here the error occurs (therefore reproducible)

Bevor Edge Chromium installed (without starting the old Edge Browser):

Bevor.PNG

After installation and reboot:

After.PNG

@berwan Sounds very strange to me, that this behavior is Hardware-dependent.

As I can see your PowerShell-Script is just a straight-forward MSI-Installation, nothing suspicious there. To debug this, I would add an argument /L*v C:\Temp\MSEdge-MSI-Install.log to the Script. 

OR: maybe you already have an Installation Log, because the "inner" Setup-Package usually creates a log in C:\Windows\Temp\msedge_installer.log => maybe you can find something helpful there.

@berwan are you still facing this issue? If yes, can you try rebooting without installing Edge on Chromium to see if the UI language still changes in that case?

If the issue does not occur when not installing Edge, and does occur after installing Edge, then we will investigate further. A screenshot of the Windows version info from running "winver" in the Start Menu will help us diagnose.

Thank you!

@michli I was sick the last few days and unfortunately I did not have the chance to continue testing. As soon as I get back to testing and I have new findings, I will let you know.

I found the bug and it's not Edge Chromium (an outdated configuration baseline :unamused:). 
I'm sorry about the false alarm :facepalm: and thank you for your support :smile:

The thread can be closed.

regards

@berwan thanks for letting us know!