Closing IE mode tab crashes all msedge.exe processes if tab was open from link with target="_blank"

Iron Contributor

How to reproduce:
Create html page that will have a link with target="_blank" which will open other page. Both pages should open in IE mode. Navigate to first page, click on link. This will open new tab. Close this tab. Result: all MS Edge tabs are closed, even located in other windows.

Edge version 81.0.381.0, windows 10 1903. IE mode enabled using group policy. 

6 Replies

@mindstI'd like to report the same bug. I can confirm this is restricted to tabs that were opened with a target="_blank" property in the link and were opened in IE Mode (by policy). When you close a tab like that, all MSEdge.exe processes indeed crash, so browser crashes hard.
Tabs that were opened in IE Mode without the target="_blank" attribute DO NOT crash the browser when closed. Same goes for normal mode tabs: these behave normal and DO NOT crash the browser when closed, not even with links with attribute target="_blank".

This bug seems to have appeared with a recent Dev build update ( Versie 81. 0. 381. 0 ) Mid december this was working as expected.

Another funny thing: when this crash happened and you've reopened Edge, it offers te restore the tabs you were working on. When you do this, you CAN close the tab that's causing the crash without crashing the browser, as long as the tab hasn't loaded fully yet.... :smile:

@Moaske I've been fighting similar IE Mode issues forever. I can't tell if it's Edge or my incorrect setup of enterprise list on my machine, so I've given up on it.

IE Mode works when hitting a website in the enterprise list. But from that IE tab, if you open another page in the same site - in a new tab or a new window, it opens the tab/window with about:blank. Can't close the tab, can't close the session. Have to go into Task Manager and close the Internet Explorer process that is running.

@Robin Nilsson wrote:

But from that IE tab, if you open another page in the same site - in a new tab or a new window, it opens the tab/window with about:blank. Can't close the tab, can't close the session. Have to go into Task Manager and close the Internet Explorer process that is running.

@Robin NilssonThat is a completely different issue (though might be related) than this crashing of the whole Edge instance. Yours should have been resolved somewhere in december (discussed here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/enterprise/ie-mode-popup-problem/m-p/1058175#M635 ). Are you sure you're running the latest versions of Windows 10, IE and Edge? (Dev preferably)

I know, I see the fixes in the release notes but... :)
Definately old Win10 - company is on 1809 so I'm assuming that's most of the issue (and that's probably not going to change any time soon so I'm out of luck in any case). And my other test machine isn't hooked into the company so I can't test there....
I want to believe :)
I have the same issue.
Edge version 81.0.381.0, windows 10 1909. IE mode enabled using group policy.

This week I've downloaded and installed/upgraded the stable release of Edge-Chromium and it seems this issue has been resolved in the stable release. I didn't experience any crashes in the stable release.

Intranet sites that were opened in a IE-mode tab (by policy) by means of a 'target=_blank' link on a IE-mode intranet page, can now be closed normally without crashing the browser :smile:

Thanks for delivering this fix in the stable release @Pernille-Eskebo :cool: