Can't open this page in internet explorer mode. Try reinstalling Edge with Administrator Privledges

Copper Contributor

Trying to test IE mode. Set the policy to redirect all intranet sites to IE and set mode to Integrated. When I browse to an intranet site, it launches a new IE 11 window and the originating Edge tab displays the above error message. 

13 Replies

@Jason Schell @stesch79 

If you type edge://version in the Edge address bar, the Executable path should show a path starting with C:\Program Files... to indicate a system install. If the Executable path begins with C:\Users.. then you will need to uninstall and reinstall Edge with administrator privileges.

Additionally, IE mode is not supported on the Canary channel. Please use the Dev channel to try out IE mode.

I'm getting the same error message, but edge://version is giving me the following:

• Microsoft Edge: 77.0.230.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
  • Revision: 973ea789f91368c69555e279e4be4754821580c2
  • Executable path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe

In addition to this, edge://policy is reporting the following:

• InternetExplorerIntegrationLevel = 1
  • SendIntranetToInternetExplorer = true

So far as I can tell, this is a correctly-installed version of the Edge Insider Dev build, with the appropriate policies set up. However, opening an intranet zone site still launches IE11 and presents the above error in Edge.

@sw175 - Can you please share what the Command-Line shows on edge://version as well?

@Jason Schell 

I have the same problem but I've noticed it only happens on my Windows 8.1 machines.  It works ok on Windows 7 (don't have any Windows 10 clients to test at the moment).  I'm using the Edge Beta, its installed at the "system" level, it just won't work on Windows 8.1.  I have all the prerequisites installed.

@billroland Are you using the "Send all intranet sites to Internet Explorer" policy as well? Can you please share what edge:\\version shows for Command-Line?

@Shilpa_SubramanianI am using the "send all intranet sites to Internet Explorer" policy.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Beta\Application\msedge.exe" --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end

Just doesn't work at all on Windows 8.1  

@billroland Thank you for your patience! We've identified the bug causing this issue on Windows 8.1. We are working on a fix and you should be able to test it out in the Canary and Dev channels soon.

@Shilpa_Subramanian Thank you for the fix. I was asking myself whether it was me or my setup that caused it to fail. The error message is misleading, too.

Can you add compatibility for 1607 / Server 2016 and 1809, too while you're at it?

@Klose_BW Thank you for the feedback.

IE mode is available on Windows 10, version 1809 with latest cumulative update (KB4509479 or higher) and is coming soon to Windows 10, version 1607/ Server 2016.