SOLVED

CA ServiceDesk 12.9 attachment download issue starting Edge 93

Brass Contributor

Hello,

in our company we've got a CA ServiceDesk 12.9 which works properly with Chrome no matter its version. And we were happy this CA ServiceDesk 12.9 worked perfectly well with Chromium Edge. Until we upgraded Edge to version 93 in select machines.

And then the download attachments functionality with version 93 became broken, it was working properly in Chromium Edge version 92 and it is still working with updated Chrome.

When a user clicks on a link to the attachment, a javascript:download_exec(attListData[attmnt:####]) gets invoked, which opens a new window. This is how it properly looks up to Edge 92 :

ChromiumEdge92OKwPrivacy.png

But starting with Edge version 93, and even in 94 the website started to behave badly, same actions would invoke a new window with no attachment visible at the bottom:

ChromiumEdge93NotOKwPrivacy.png

You see? There's no bottom part of the Chromium Edge window. As if the download is just below the window. The blue arrow points to the edge of the window. Resizing that window doesn't help, the attachment doesn't get revealed. Refresh doesn't help either, authentication doesn't carry over a refresh.

There IS a workaround we can use -- go to the primary window, press Ctrl+J to open up a downloads dropdown, and get the attachment from there, but you understand that this is a no-go for Enterprise users -- a showstopper for Chromium Edge adoption. CA Servicedesk hasn't been upgraded, only Edge, so it's a Edge's problem, not CA Servicedesk's.

Is this a bug? Can it be fixed in upcoming releases? I'm ready to be contacted.

6 Replies

Hi again, just posted, and then suddenly luckily stumbled upon a much better website for reproduction steps! No need for CA Servicedesk, it's Microsoft Update Catalog -- it suffers from the very same issue!

You go to https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ and search for any update, say, KB504331 (you can go straight to search results at https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=5004331). Hit Download button on a right side of any of the search results that appear. A new window opens. 

Edge 92, good beaviour, after clicking a link, a download bar appears at the bottom of the window:

ChromiumEdge92MSCatalogOK.png

Edge 93 (and 94) bad behaviour, when clicking on a download link no download bar appears below:

ChromiumEdge93MSCatalogNotOK.png

A reproduceable bug!

Regards,
Mantvydas

@Mantvydas Hello!  I believe there was a change in behavior for files downloaded by Microsoft Edge.  Now the download information is found in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  

I'm using MS Edge Stable Version 93.0.961.47 (Official build) (64-bit) and here is what happens when I download a file from Microsoft Update Catalog.  

download.gif

We have received feedback from users about this change and it is being tracked in the top feedback summary: Top Feedback Summary for August - Microsoft Tech Community

• Enable additional options for viewing downloaded files, such as the bottom of the window

You can also provide thoughts and suggestions directly through the browser by heading to the … menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback

Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Ythanks for a reply.

Oh, I see. I went to the article you mentioned and saw "Enable additional options for viewing downloaded files, such as the bottom of the window" is Under Review. For 16 weeks already. I keep my fingers crossed the download at the bottom of the window returns back as it was, or at least it's configurable using GPO. I hope my feedback here helps them decide.

The thing with CA Servicedesk is, that its primary Edge window opens a secondary Edge window, and we click on an attachment there, and it opens this small download window as a third window. So the download drop down, that you show in a video, stays on the primary window. And the primary Edge window gets covered by the secondary window. In no way our CA ServiceDesk users can see that dropping down -- it's covered.

Do you think I'd better record it using Edge's Send Feedback? This discussion here is too unnoticeable?

best response confirmed by Mantvydas (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Mantvydas Hello!  I have updated our internal issue with a link to this discussion but you can also submit feedback in the browser!  

I was able to find the article announcing the change to the downloads experience, please take a look if you need additional information: Introducing the new downloads experience - Microsoft Tech Community

Thanks!

-Kelly

Oh, the change was announced in February. I'm 7 months late then. I don't think I can change anything so late in the game. Hopefully they decide to at least have it configurable through Group Policy. That would be sufficient.

Just to let you know in version 94.0.992.31 (I don't know maybe even earlier) the download is now seen at the bottom of the window! Hurrah! This issue can been closed. Thank you.

Also I checked a Beta version 95.0.1020.9, the download is still seen at the bottom properly. So I am now calm.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mantvydas (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Mantvydas Hello!  I have updated our internal issue with a link to this discussion but you can also submit feedback in the browser!  

I was able to find the article announcing the change to the downloads experience, please take a look if you need additional information: Introducing the new downloads experience - Microsoft Tech Community

Thanks!

-Kelly

View solution in original post