Always use default profile when open Edge

Brass Contributor

Hi!
We need to have option when every start of browser (Edge) is used default profile. We also must use another profile(s) via command line, but … these must not open after next normal start of Edge (from taskbar, Start etc.) as last used profile(s). Yes, we can set browser sign-in policy as forced, but then is needed also logging in for another profile(s), we can’t have that. Guest profile use could be an option in our case, I think, but … we have to use extensions.
Yeah, this kind of task. With Firefox we just launched it from command line for another profile to use and that’s it, but for Chrome and Edge wasn’t (isn’t) so easy (well, to be truthful, I’m not aware of, maybe easy solution is out there, I hope). We just must use for one (important) site a bit customized printing setting – no margins, that’s why we struggle a little.
Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar.

2 Replies

Hi!
Seems to for our purposes did work out command-line switch “--user-data-dir”. I managed to create fitted preferences file and created it before creating profile and it did play well.
Alar.

Can you elaborate on that solution? @MSAlf

Did you create a new file under "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data" or did you edit a file? And what did that file contain?

Then you edit the Edge shortcut "Start in" to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application" --user-data-dir

where --user-data-dir is the new file in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data?