SOLVED

Using the Custom Learning Site

Iron Contributor

I'm super excited about the release of the Office 365 Custom Learning site! Is anyone else trying it out on their tenant? If so I'd love to hear about how you're using it - especially if you're using it for custom playlists. I've had a go at creating a custom playlist but for some reason it's not coming through to the web parts. I've been following the instructions but must be missing something... If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them :)

17 Replies

@Phil Maynard- Yes.  Just installed yesterday,.  Have a bit of trouble adding custom content.  Seems that after adding custom playlist or asset, I either don't get any playlists to display or the custom playlist doesn't play.  Have you experienced this?  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Later update:  Created trial tenant.  Installed custom learning solution.  Works better.  Key thing: Must get out of site as person changing the web part data, for it to take affect for others.

@Rob Schmidt interesting. This sounds exactly like to difficulty I'm having. I've set up a custom playlist but it doesn't appear on the main page.

UPDATE: None of the playlists are now showing for either me or other logged in users :( I can see the main category list but when I go into any of the categories, no play lists are showing. I may have a go at running the update script as it's been a couple of weeks since I first installed the site.

UPDATE 2: The playlists are showing again - not sure if this was related to running the CustomLearningConfiguration.ps1 script or not! Still not showing custom playlists or categories. Any suggestions welcome...

UPDATE 3: Re-deployed the site into a different site collection on the same test Tenant. This is allowing me to create custom playlists as long as they're under existing categories. If I try to use a new category, no playlist is displayed...

UPDATE 4: On a fresh page, I added the Custom Learning for Office web part and filtered to to my new category. Initially this didn't show the playlists under it but after a bit of time, the playlists appeared. However, the custom sub-category still doesn't show in the parent category so if I use the breadcrumb to navigate up, I can't get back down. (maybe I just need to wait a bit longer...)

I was super excited about this as well, sounded awesome but so far on my navigation thorugh the site the content doesn't seem to rich; am I missing something? Others thoughts?

@cnichols0809 I think it has the potential to deliver most of what I'm after which is a trimmed down version of the Office Support centre. I don't have the resource to recreate guidance so tapping in to the Microsoft library is great. We're not using all the tools or features so to be able to customise the lists to fit our reality is also good.

The one missing element is to be able to successfully manage our own lists!! (still having issues with that!) I'd also like the look and feel to be a little nicer in terms of the playlist navigation but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

I'd be interested to hear what additional content you were hoping for as it seams to have most of the content on the Office Support portal as far as I can see.

Hi Phil!

I was really hyped by the design of the page!  

Unfortunately i was a bit disappointed, that the pages hasn't had some preloaded learning stuff inside of it. Can you share some impressions of your setup of the Learning Portal?

regards 

Yannick

@Yannick Eberle 

Refer the blog on Office 365 Custom Learning Solution which is pretty cool.  It has screen impressions of the solution and the capabilities. I will soon write an article about the customization options available here.  I find it really useful for organization to quick start building their own solution on top of Office 365 custom learning solution.

Hi @ainnani 

Thank for the quick reply!

I'm looking forward here about any news from the learning portal.

regards

Yannick

@Phil Maynard Hey Phil, I'm working from the Microsoft side on the Custom Learning content and experience. We're planning a significant content update within the next few months, and then content updates every month. We're also looking to improve the UX/Navigation in upcoming releases. We're open to any suggestions for improvement in the UX or any content you'd like to see added. 

@Peter Krebs That sounds great! What's the best way to provide feedback? Do you have a Uservoice for the service yet?

best response confirmed by Phil Maynard (Iron Contributor)
Solution

The Custom Learning team have identified a glitch that was causing the problem I was experiencing. They're going to resolve it in future releases but in the meantime, they've posted a work around on the Git Hub site - https://github.com/pnp/custom-learning-office-365/issues/26#issuecomment-481845145

The steps to resolve this are:

1. Select a Technology for your custom playlist, even though it doesn't necessarily have one.
  2. After adding the playlist to the custom sub category, refresh the administration page which will reset the cache.
    Your sub category and playlist will now show up.

Thanks @Julie Turner and @Peter Krebs  for your help :)

@Peter Krebs 

That sound great.  One of the important thing that I see is to keep the end users motivated to learn and follow the training course, so it will definitely add value if we have below features within the custom learning solution

- A mechanism to assign batch.  A sort of achievement so that users are motivated

- A user must be able to keep track of their learning course.  When they leave the training session, they must be able to start learning from the place where they left

- A user must be able to select his/her own learning course by selected one of multiple playlists and making it more personalized as per his/her role within an organisation

@Peter Krebs 

Hi Peter - I've just started using this and from a UX point of view the Playlist isn't very obvious (arrows left or right) and could easily be overlooked by people visiting the page, who will only then be able to consume page 1 of the playlist - can that be improved on? 

This will benefit the end user experience @ainnani 

@KathrynO Thank you for the feedback. We are looking at improving the navigation experience in future releases - including making the forward/back arrows more prominent. Thank you for the feedback. 

I installed it today but I have an issue when a member or visitor to the site tries to access the module, we recieve: "

The CustomLearningWebPart has not been properly configured and you do not have Owner rights to complete the operation. Please contact the site administrator."

I might forgot something but i don´t know what.

It works when they have Owner-status.

Any thoughts?

@Phil Maynard 

@Martin Front I'm afraid I don't have any direct thoughts. However, it looks like there was a similar issue raise and closed on the github site - https://github.com/pnp/custom-learning-office-365/issues/34 Julie has some good suggestions to troubleshoot the issue. Hopefully this will help you out - if not, the folks in the github site developing the app are very responsive :)

@Martin Front wrote:

I installed it today but I have an issue when a member or visitor to the site tries to access the module, we recieve: "

The CustomLearningWebPart has not been properly configured and you do not have Owner rights to complete the operation. Please contact the site administrator."

I might forgot something but i don´t know what.

It works when they have Owner-status.

Any thoughts?

@Phil Maynard 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Phil Maynard (Iron Contributor)
Solution

The Custom Learning team have identified a glitch that was causing the problem I was experiencing. They're going to resolve it in future releases but in the meantime, they've posted a work around on the Git Hub site - https://github.com/pnp/custom-learning-office-365/issues/26#issuecomment-481845145

The steps to resolve this are:

1. Select a Technology for your custom playlist, even though it doesn't necessarily have one.
  2. After adding the playlist to the custom sub category, refresh the administration page which will reset the cache.
    Your sub category and playlist will now show up.

Thanks @Julie Turner and @Peter Krebs  for your help :)

View solution in original post