Using SharePoint to Crowdsource and Share Resources...Thoughts on This Approach

Copper Contributor

Hello Friends,

My department asked me to create a SharePoint page where our folks can share and access resources for a department initiative. We are an academic department so "resources" means: links to webpages, links to books, links to videos, PDFs, docs, and files. 

My aim is to curate these resources by category as the list grows.

Our requirements:

1. easy for the members of the department to submit resources.  

2. easy for the members to access the resources once submitted.

Our community's Microsoft adoption path

Our department members have a wide range of 365 capabilities: They range from change-averse to novice to nerd. Thus, we may need to do some training to get people to provide resources.

I was thinking of one of two routes to create a crowdsourced resource page (or a mix of the two):

1.  Create a SharePoint page with a Document Collection section. Members could drag and drop files or submit links into the collection. The collection displays on the Sharepoint page. 
  2. A Microsoft Form for members to enter a resource. The form would populate a list which I would embed in the Sharepoint Page. Members access the resources off the list. 

Power Automate could alert the department members when new resources are added to the page. 

Does this seem reasonable? Is there more elegant way to crowdsource resources in a department and make them a pleasure to share and use? 

6 Replies

Hello @J_o_h_n ! That's a nice initiative. I am thinking, why not use Teams to crowdsource and share resources? ;) I think Teams would be an excellent platform for your department members to share/access resources. And hey,  you might be able to break the ice with the change-averse members & get them to adopt Teams in this process :happyface:

Tips

• Create different channels for different resource types (if that applies to you)
  • Use channel "Wiki" - if some resources are purely links with text info
  • Training session for the members can be simple and focus on which channels they should use, how/where to upload files, how to use "wiki" etc. If any members have questions, they can use the "General" channel to post them & you (or your peers) can moderate

You can choose to create a SharePoint page (may be within your Team!) to curate and organize the "final content". This way, you would have all your resources (they can even be categorized) in your Team's "Files" and you can use web parts like Highlighted content, Quick links etc to nicely organize your "final content" on the SharePoint page.

Let me know if this idea appeals to you! :)

@J_o_h_n that's an interesting idea! In the company I am working at, we have a global collaboration platform where employees can share content related to the business line they are working for. We have a solution that relies on SharePoint and Yammer. I think Yammer is here interesting. According to me, it better suits what you aim to achieve than Teams. Teams is for close collaboration, with people you work with, while Yammer is for collaborating with people you do not work with on a daily basis. Also, there is currently a reflection on how to integrate Stream to gather all the video content at one place/topic or business line. I hope this gives you some ideas :) 

@J_o_h_n, have you considered using the new Microsoft Lists app?  I know it is still SharePoint behind the scenes.  This could be a stand-alone list or embedded into a Channel in Teams.  You can use Power Automate to build in some workflows too.  

Microsoft Lists | Microsoft 365

Thank you, yes I’ve been considering Lists and thinking about a Flow we could use — perhaps with Forms — to curate and share resources.

We are launching Teams in some of our programs and thus I think it could be a good way to curate material. Thank you!
I like the idea of Yammer, too. However our adoption curve right now probably won’t allow for us to implement that. However, Teams may be a way for us to go, initially.