True track of Service Usage???

Deleted
Not applicable

With the PowerBI Office 365 Adoption Preview now over a year old, is their any plan to improve adoption and license management? 

Specifically, tracking service usage is becoming more important.

We need to not just know which products are actively assigned to a user, we need to know when the user last activated/utilized any particular service (plan) enabled with that licensed product. 

Sadly, I cannot seem to get the right audience to get these options moved into production. 

What about you?

Are your CEOs, CIOs, CFOs, procurement and business leaders wanting to know who is utilizing the tools available and who has started using something that might not be fully vetted for the business? 

5 Replies

I am asked for this data on a regular basis too. The best i can do is the usage charts in O365 admin center. Those are OK for overall usage, but don't provide a realistic picture of adoption. They are also limited in scope to only a few products.

Our business leaders really want information on usage and adoption but have found that the data is limited on true usage.  We would like to hear if anyone has been able to find a way to show this in a different way.

There's been an update to the Adoption Preview Pack; it's now called Usage Analytics (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/microsoft-365-usage-analytics-77ff780d-ab19-4553-adea-09cb6...

The out of the box dashboard and reports will give you some general insights, comparable to the Adoption Preview Pack. In my experience as a User Adoption Consultant, these dashboards don't yet give me as much insight into true usage as I'd like. However, you can open the data behind the reports in PowerBi and create your own dashboards with more detail. I think the information you're looking for is available in the data, it's just a matter of extracting it into the right dashboards. 

Sandra, 

I have been using the Usage Analytics app since its release.

It still has the downsides of not being able to drill into the actual data. 

It has a new downside in that it seems to only publish to your personal apps list even with a Pro license. 

That may be a glitch in Apps group assignment rather than the app itself. 

You can see real activity vs being enabled with less scrutiny that previously. 

Product or Service Usage still does not include Microsoft's offerings like Staff Hub, Planner, Microsoft To-Do, etc.

The Enabled vs Active matrices appear to show only max numbers. 

I am hoping these shortcomings are addressed at Ignite 2018. 

Thanx for this feedback on the adoption analytics.  There are privacy issues related to how we roll up the data at a tenant level.  So you have some additional options - 

You can use a 3rd party like TyGraph to see more detailed usage data OR

You can influence your leadership to not measure this and instead measure true business outcomes and employee satisfaction.  Product usage is never a measure of real business value so it seems like an opportunity to go deeper in this area. 

We were just discussing something similar in this thread here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Driving-Adoption/Choosing-Adoption-Metrics/m-p/266999/highlig...