Tasks by Planner and To Do Updates

Silver Contributor

Is anything being done around Tasks by Planner and To Do or has that app in Teams died? The name never fully changed to Tasks. I haven't seen My Day or Flagged emails. I heard nothing from what I could see from Ignite this week. Should I just have it permanently removed from all users in our tenant? @Karuana Gatimu and @Josh Leporati 

2 Replies

@Jeffrey Allen I've been wondering the exact same thing for awhile. TBH, I feel like the writing is on the wall for "Tasks" and Planner as a whole.  

Blog/news from the Planner dev team have slowed down to a slow drip over the year with minimal updates to the product.  Their latest blog post (2021-NOV-04) was mostly a rehash of the few things they released over the past six months with only a couple of vague promises for what's to come in 2021, both of which feel too little and too late for a product that turned five years old this past summer.  

Features they promise are coming in 2022:

• Reoccurring Tasks
  • Rich text in the "Notes" field

In my own opinion, Planner is too far behind the ball in the world of modern-productivity-tools.  I've got my eyes set on Lists and Loop moving forward, until MS releases a "for everyone" version of Project.

I was unaware that they were even moving in this direction. I thought "Tasks by Planner and Todo" was the last step. A quick Google turned this post up: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/planner-blog/the-planner-app-name-in-teams-has-changed-to-tas...

Sure enough, we're supposed to see one more rename of the app to just "Tasks". Thanks @Jeffrey Allen for asking for status update. I'm curious now too.