SOLVED

Setting adoption objectives

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am just wondering whether any of you has experience with setting adoption targets related to the usage of the tools of the O365 suite and MS Teams.

When developing change strategies for clients, I find it difficult to set quantitative objectives to measure the success of the strategy.

Looking for any insights. Thanks
Nathalie

16 Replies
One idea I have heard is measuring the number of emails used before and after the introduction of Teams. This can be expanded to e.g. the number of cc's done, the number of unread emails, etc. The idea being to reduce the use of emails to only those directly relevant to the person who receives them (i.e. not on cc, and they actually open the email).
Beyond that, the number of teams that include people in different departments can point to more collaboration across the organisation.

Thank you @julianlt for your reply.

I agree with you on measuring these elements on an ongoing process to see the evolution and the adoption.
However I was wondering whether you ever set adoption objectives as part of the plan.
Eg:

• A 10% monthly increase in the number of files shared through OneDrive.
  • 70% of the meetings are done through MS Teams 3 months upon implementation
  • Etc... 

This is what I am currently struggling with.

best response confirmed by Arti Rumpal (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hallo @NathalieG , hope this msg finds you well :) 

I was handling the adoption of Office365 services in the recent past. The major services included SharePoint, OneDrive and MS Teams. For the project, we used to have PowerBI services to monitor and measure the consumption of the services. PowerBI is a brilliant way to develop dashboard to measure the adoption. 

Ref Article for Usage Analysis :- 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/usage-analytics/usage-analytics?view=o365-worldwide

PowerBI Reporting : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/usage-analytics/customize-reports?redirectSourcePat...

In the first part of your post, you mentioned about the changing strategies. that means the adoption is dependent on the business (teams) priorities and that impacts the change !! is it the right understanding ?

If this is the case, probably setting up meetings with business owners to answer adoption related questions like some form of survey might get you answers. Just a suggestion :)  Here is a link to MS article  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/m365-service-adoption-start/organizational-readiness 

This document has refs to : Use the Stakeholder Questionnaire , the Stakeholder Engagement rating tool 

Hope this helps :) All the best. 

Hi @YadleyB ,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply and useful links.

Yep, your understanding or my question is right. Meeting with business owners to answer adoption related questions seems to be the good way to go as quantitative objectives can be set in partnership with the client.
What about cases where it is difficult to answer such questions? I was wondering whether there are any other best practice for such situations.

Best regards

Hallo @NathalieG ,

Thanks for the response. 

Regarding the questions, to me they are more like strategic outcomes and forecasting. right ? 

The quantitative numbers can be derived based on the usage metrics and PowerBI that's the best practise that I am aware of. I welcome to new ideas :). 

There are lot of questions that would remain unanswered for some time. Just wait and watch kinda thing. 

In my project experience, we had 6 months of pilot to introduce Office365 to "ready to pilot business teams" to run for it. That gave us time to learn and improvise ::: 

1. what are business teams priorities which can be sorted using the new technology ? 

2. Is there any reluctance to embrace new change, how we can improvise to change so reluctance to be converted into acceptance. Happy Smileys :) 

3. Technical capabilities. -- trainings required, expertise required, time, cost budget. etc ...  this is 1 crucial factor... too 

4. Tech Support and knowledge to work with business users to sort queries. 

etc etc ... for sure you have a lots too .. 

Questions would remain similar for each service rolled out to employees. Just to add we did successfully rolled out office365 to 60K headcount company :)

Just an example, let say logistics company implemented office365, but what all communities or departments in the organisation would really consume services and benefit out of it, like shipping department might not even need SharePoint or OneDrive or MS Teams for that matter. 

All these would help drive adoption and measure the run rate piece by piece. 

Hope I could shed some light. 

Hello @YadleyB 

I appreciate your following up on my question. Thanks a lot.

I understand that, based on your experience, the identification of quantitative objective can only be done once a pilot has been run to gather enterprise-specific data, which makes sense.

There are no "standard" quantitative objectives which we can set to measure the success of the change management plan and actions. There are always company-specific. 

Best regards

Nathalie

Am glad I could be of some help :) all the best.

@NathalieGwe always work on the premise of adoption as being directly resulting to some kind of business outcome.  For example, a reduction in the amount of emails by XY%; cost or time savings by XY%.  When working with the teams who we are supporting for O365, we use typical work scenarios and then relate the outcomes for success to those scenarios and problems to be solved - so we measure that as opposed to vanity metrics such as numbers of likes; numbers of shares etc.

@NathalieG In addition to what the others wrote, I also suggest a survey at regular intervals that might include questions such as "how easy is to use Teams" "can you find content easily" "if not, why - give them options + a free text field", "how often do you use X functionality", etc. 

The answers will give you an idea what you might have to do in order to increase adoption, such revisiting your governance plan, communication for example about what to use when, training if users struggle to use certain functionality or are not aware of it. These are just a few examples and I hope it helps. 

Hello @Helen Blunden 

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed the business outcome is what I find difficult to quantify . Clients may wish to reduce the amount of emails but are often unclear as to what a realistic rate of reduction is. How can we support them in setting these quantifiable objectives? Same thing when it comes to travel reduction for example? 

We also use case scenarios to encourage adoption and track usage metrics to see the rate of adoption,  but setting the initial business outcome in a realistic timeframe is what I find tricky.

Best regards

Hello @Antje Lamartine 

Thanks for your message.

I agree that surveys are a good way to track adoption in a more qualitative way.
Do you also work against pre-set business outcomes as put forward in the previous post? If so, how do you about setting them?

Best regards

Nathalie

We met with our Customer Success Manager last week and he was going to send over some KPIs that we would use to measure adoption. However, I found that the information that was available online through the adoption guide workbook answered many of our questions. If our CSM sends the KPIs our way, I'll share them with you.

@NathalieG The trouble with setting pre-set business outcomes is that there are no standards. We work them out in sessions with for example with the core team supporting O365, or a cross-section of employees in a Workshop, or through focus group interviews, or through feedback in a POC. We have many conversations, because we all talk about "helping people work smarter", but what does it really mean, right? So as said by others as well, it makes sense to look at user scenarios, by department or company wide if possible (that is usually harder), and measure on that smaller level. If done by department, it will also be easier to respond to KPI results with different Change & Adoption measures, which in turn can then be reused in other areas of a company. As with other O365 things I keep "crawl, walk, run" in mind. Starting small, keeping in touch with the users, and then adjust the along the way.

@@Antje Lamartine thanks for sharing your experience and methodology, because this is exactly what I am struggling with. I now need to explain to my boss (I am working as a consultant) that it is not possible to commit to targets ahead of time (as part of a proposal for example) without first consulting the client's teams and sets of employees as these targets are situational-specific.

@NathalieG You're welcome. Maybe this approach will help you to explain this to your boss.

Take the current situation with the Corona Virus. A government tells its people to follow a certain rule, such as wearing masks. You can set a KPI on that: x number of people will wear masks by x date. If the people will really wear the masks, though, will depend on things like have they worn masks before and is it acceptable in their culture to do so. People in Singapore will likely follow the rule immediately, people in Germany will not. The KPI is still ok, but it will have to be adjusted based on the country, culture, and previous history. Translate that to O365….there are KPIs one can set, but it’s important to set them according to the current way of collaborating with each other and culture of the organization, and then adjust them along the way if necessary.

Hope that helps – good luck and stay healthy!

@Antje Lamartine, This is indeed a great meaningful example to use.
Thanks a lot

Hope you are well wherever you are located. Stay safe.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Arti Rumpal (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hallo @NathalieG , hope this msg finds you well :) 

I was handling the adoption of Office365 services in the recent past. The major services included SharePoint, OneDrive and MS Teams. For the project, we used to have PowerBI services to monitor and measure the consumption of the services. PowerBI is a brilliant way to develop dashboard to measure the adoption. 

Ref Article for Usage Analysis :- 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/usage-analytics/usage-analytics?view=o365-worldwide

PowerBI Reporting : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/usage-analytics/customize-reports?redirectSourcePat...

In the first part of your post, you mentioned about the changing strategies. that means the adoption is dependent on the business (teams) priorities and that impacts the change !! is it the right understanding ?

If this is the case, probably setting up meetings with business owners to answer adoption related questions like some form of survey might get you answers. Just a suggestion :)  Here is a link to MS article  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/m365-service-adoption-start/organizational-readiness 

This document has refs to : Use the Stakeholder Questionnaire , the Stakeholder Engagement rating tool 

Hope this helps :) All the best. 

View solution in original post