Phased functional Teams deployment or full deployment?

Copper Contributor

Is there anyone having experience with a  phased deployment of MS Teams (for example if you decide to roll-out Teams with only Chat enabled as a reason for Skype replacement) ? To me it feels like buying a Ferrari without using the gearbox. I would like to know your honest opinion about doing this.

4 Replies

@TeamsForBusinessValue phased functional Teams deployment makes sense in mature environments where cloud applications are a novelty and there is little understanding among principal decision makers about what Teams has to offer. Associating Teams with Skype for Business, for example, and stating that Teams will take over chat as Skype for Business is decommissioned by Microsoft is a way to ease users into the environment and minimize resistance to change. Phased functional Teams deployments are normal in government contexts, for example, where products usually start off locked down to their basic functionality and are -hopefully- slowly unshackled to allow their intended collaborative function.

@SmoothOperator  what is the best deployment method for Microsoft Teams. MSi VS click2 run. any issues reported on MSI than click2Run

@Sankarasubramanian Parameswaran at a government level tenant I do not have administrator deployment experience with Teams to answer your question; I suggest you ask this question of the contributors to this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/msi-deployment

On a personal level I installed the free Teams app on my PC using click to run and it was relatively quick to install. You may also want to consider that every Teams notification that opens on the user's browser offers a button for the user to self-install the software. If your environment allows users to do this, users may choose to install the app themselves, or just use the online version of Teams.

@TeamsForBusinessValue from my personal experience with clients there was always a phased deployment. Teams were deployed in parallel with all their features on and then the adoption starts. People in the beginning were curious, creating a new Team here and there and gradually feel more confident to use the tool.

At a certain point after you have enough adoption you are setting a Skype retirement date