SOLVED

Legal to copy Microsoft's Teams short training videos into internal LMS?

Iron Contributor

Microsoft's Teams videos on YouTube and support pages like this are helpful - and need a little translation for nonprofits. As our organization builds internal training resources for Teams adoption, we want to integrate interactions (pauses with comments or questions) to suggest applications and boost engagement as staff watch the videos.

Is it legal and acceptable to download these videos from the support pages (not YouTube) and upload them into our LMS? We'd expect to regularly update them, as with links to YouTube; that's lots easier than producing our own analogs. What does @Karuana Gatimu think?

(Similar post originally in the Teams channel)

9 Replies
I am also interested on that question

I should note that not all the YouTube videos seem to be embedded on Support pages...and that the download video file (not just transcript) may not work in every browser.

Personally, I'd be fine to link to the YouTube videos as-is. But the opportunity is significant to boost engagement and contextualization with interactive questions in the LMS - even on such short videos.

best response confirmed by John Egleston (Iron Contributor)
Solution
There was an initiative announced last year to bring training material directly into an organisation using a Microsoft-curated SharePoint site collection. I don't know if it has progressed much further.
You're wanting to take it a step further again and change their work. I think pauses with interactive annotations would give an organsiation the opportunity to add messaging that's relevant to their org. Great idea. Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Microsoft learning videos were provided in a templated form like that?
Yes you are referring to what is now called Custom Learning for Office 365. It is releasing as a site template this quarter. That doesn't address downloading and editing our content but you can then bring it right into your organization and turn on/off different workloads you are using with the template. We'll be announcing it here in Driving Adoption when its ready for prime time.

This would be immensely useful for us  @Karuana Gatimu 

• We have a couple of customers who need guidance in terms of Teams adoption but does not shell out extra money for paid courses. 

If we embed selected YouTube Videos on client's Office 365 SharePoint Online it would be easier of that customers to adopt Microsoft Teams. 

• Do we have any Office 365 Champions program in Singapore?   
As an IT Trainer that has been supporting and delivering Microsoft training as a contractor, should i now be concerned that more businesses are wanting to do away with training and use Microsoft Training Center and Custom Learning?
There's plenty that can be done to contextualize and combine Microsoft-provided training content with org-specific content. #abundantopportunity
I'm not on about content. I'm on about delivery and support. With companies migrating, projects are looking to take the cheaper option. That means that where in the past they would be I'll advised to ignore training they now choose these options and do away with hands in approach.
It's not what they should but they will.
I'm not on about content. I'm on about delivery and support. With companies migrating, projects are looking to take the cheaper option. That means that where in the past they would be I'll advised to ignore training they now choose these options and do away with hands in approach. It's not what they should but they will.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Egleston (Iron Contributor)
Solution
There was an initiative announced last year to bring training material directly into an organisation using a Microsoft-curated SharePoint site collection. I don't know if it has progressed much further.
You're wanting to take it a step further again and change their work. I think pauses with interactive annotations would give an organsiation the opportunity to add messaging that's relevant to their org. Great idea. Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Microsoft learning videos were provided in a templated form like that?

View solution in original post