File and Folder Navigation - What changes need to occur for adoption?

Copper Contributor

There are many changes to the way a associate or employee navigates his or hers files and folders the old school way. No matter if it is through Explorer or Outlook does not matter for adoption of Office 365 to seamlessly occur behaviors and methods need to change.

Let's face it most employees still use Outlook email as a filing system! Most employees still use the tried and true Copy Paste or Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V as there file movement shortcuts. It works!

But true adoption of the old school method is not as easy just using files and folders in OneDrive or SharePoint within Office 365. 

Seeking help and guidance on the best methods to increase adoption of the new way to leverage files and folders within just Office 365 and not the old school way? 

5 Replies
Hi, my first thoughts here are that you must put forward the benefit of not using the "old way of doing". Sure it works with sending docs as attachments in emails BUT you end up with multiple versions of the same file which can be confusing. You also always need to wait for your colleague to work on the file before it gets sent over to you, etc. Co-editing and just having ONE file that is shared (rather than sent back and forth) are just two examples of the benefits they can get out of a new way of dealing with files and folders! :)
JuMeu,

Thank you for your thoughts and recommendations. This is great information and guidance.

:)

@RussellDodd Another point to add to go with what @JuMeu stated is that you now have better control over the document and better security with that document. Through co-editing, you are able to see who is actively editing the document and can have comments and chats going about the document or what is being currently editing. You can also specify who has edit/read specific documents. Once you email a document out, you lose all of that control.

Collaboration is the key. Remember that we are creatures of habit and it takes a while for people to break those habits. You should always be the example so people will see how things are supposed to be done within your M365 environment.

@RussellDodd Often the hurdle is that end users don't really understand what's in it for them. My recommendation is to identify the real value and use it to communicate / educate them. Here are some examples:

• Saving files in OneDrive / SharePoint: they are available anytime / anywhere / on any device
    • WIIFM: If I need info from a file and don't have my laptop with me or on, I can quickly look it up on my mobile device - when my manager asks me for something I make the impression that I am on top of things, because I have the info at my finger tips
  • Co-authoring: Single version of truth, less manual mistakes when consolidating different versions
    • WIIFM: time saving in prepping a file for a meeting - I feel in control, go less stressed into the meeting, am able to conduct the meeting in a confident way 
  • Saving files in OneDrive: I am in control who has access to my files - no more need to rely on IT
    • WIIFM: I am more independent in my work - less stress waiting for others (IT) to help me fix something
  • Saving files in SharePoint for a project: an entire team has access to it - a new team member can be onboarded quickly
    • WIIFM: if a new team member can hit the ground running due to quick access to files, we can keep deadlines in the project, deliver it on time - I look good doing my work, I go home with a satisfied feeling that things are under control. 

In my opinion communicating just functionality is the easy way, and it's often not enough to excite end users, because let's face it, to them it's just a tool, a means to an end. Once they understand what's really in it for them, personal gains such us coming across as more organized, being always in the know, being less stressed, feeling more successful in their daily work, then it's more likely that they will consider trying it. 

In addition, when you do training, get some of your business users involved and have them demo how they use M365 and what they gained from it. Enable hesitant end users this way to relate. 

@RussellDodd 

I agree with the benefits that @[Antje Lamartine] made, and I'm grateful for many of them, but...

CONS

• I wait on someone else to remember to share a file we discussed, or make sure I followup with them later- I don't need more loose ends!
  • I must remember where and/or when someone shared a file - was it in Outlook, a Teams 1:1 chat, a Teams meeting chat?  Which files show up in multiple places and why?
  • If I don't know the specific file name, I search a lump of unrelated files in one 'Shared' location in OneDrive online. Before, I could find a company policy file in the file server's 'HR' folder, or the branding guide in the 'Marketing' folder.
  • it's still pretty easy to create duplicates of the same file with disparate changes, and no visual cue as to 'where they live' to assist

IS there a way to 'recreate' that sense of structure with One Drive?  It's important to ADHD brains that grew up on library card catalogs and papers in filing cabinets. Quite frankly, this way seems to require a lot more processing power and mental switching of tracks.  Either I'm missing it, or there has been something lost in 'the new way'.