SOLVED

Best way of implementing O365 and Teams (sequence...)

Deleted
Not applicable

We want to implement Office365 to replace our Office2010 on-prem and Teams to use it as our telephony service. We also want to use the collaborative, meeting and video-conferencing features of Teams.

Do you think it's best to implement it together or one after another?

IMHO I think I would love to have Teams, Yammer and/or Sharepoint for the sake of informing and training the people. So I would definitely don't implement the standard programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) before implementing any communication/collaboration tools.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by oliwer_sundgren (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Deleted Hello there! 
A lot of factors need to be taken into account when rolling out new features and/or systems. 

• How experienced are your users with the Office suite ( Word, Excel etc ) 
  • Do you have any existing Exchange servers on-prem at the moment? 

If your users have knowledge on the Office suite then I dont see a problem with rolling out Office ProPlus. 
But I would suggest that you set up an Office365 tenant, create accounts for some pilot users and let them try out Office ProPlus. And hold a crash-course in Teams/Collaboration 

I also suggest modifying the licenses that you assign to the users so that you disable the products you dont want them to use straight away, This lets you controll what services they can access and minimizes the risk of them being overwhelmed with new technology. 

Also, you need to take into account your current Infrastructure so you can deploy Office365 best. 

• Do you have a local Active Directory?
    • Should you implement Azure AD sync? 
  • Do you have a local Exchange server?
    • Set up a hybrid or migrate to Office365? 

Let me know if you have any more questions and we can discuss this furhter. Im more than happy to help. 

Kind Regards 
Oliwer Sjöberg

Thanks Oliwer.
There is already a PoC running in the IT team but we stopped the project for the time being. I guess we have to work on a global cloud strategy to be able to proceed further.

Unfortunately there is an urgent need to find a replacement for our current on-prem PBX telephone system. So I guess we have to deal with that question too...

No problem @Deleted !

Let me know if I you need to discuss this further, id be more than happy to help. 

Kind Regards
Oliwer Sjöberg

@Deleted those urgent needs will definitely drive decisions.  The way we did things:

1.  Office 2013 click to run (we were on office 2007 msi.....we couldn't go right to 2016).  January 2016

2.  Skype for Business online (we were on OCS on premise) - February 2016

3.  Email (we were on exchange 2007) - March 2016

We had to do all of those first because of the urgent need - all of our existing stuff was going or was out of support.  After we were done with the urgent needs then we did:

1.  Office 2016 click to run - to get us fully on Office 365 and caught up - October 2016

2.  OneDrive - Sept 2017 - March 2018

3.  SharePoint Online (we were on SharePoint Foundation 2010) - September 2018

4.  Teams - migrating everyone off of Skype for business online and rolling out collaboration - August 2019

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by oliwer_sundgren (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Deleted Hello there! 
A lot of factors need to be taken into account when rolling out new features and/or systems. 

• How experienced are your users with the Office suite ( Word, Excel etc ) 
  • Do you have any existing Exchange servers on-prem at the moment? 

If your users have knowledge on the Office suite then I dont see a problem with rolling out Office ProPlus. 
But I would suggest that you set up an Office365 tenant, create accounts for some pilot users and let them try out Office ProPlus. And hold a crash-course in Teams/Collaboration 

I also suggest modifying the licenses that you assign to the users so that you disable the products you dont want them to use straight away, This lets you controll what services they can access and minimizes the risk of them being overwhelmed with new technology. 

Also, you need to take into account your current Infrastructure so you can deploy Office365 best. 

• Do you have a local Active Directory?
    • Should you implement Azure AD sync? 
  • Do you have a local Exchange server?
    • Set up a hybrid or migrate to Office365? 

Let me know if you have any more questions and we can discuss this furhter. Im more than happy to help. 

Kind Regards 
Oliwer Sjöberg

View solution in original post