YT Flicker

Bronze Contributor

Hi team and insiders,

I have installed YouTube as an Edge app. Since a coupe of builds, whenever I open a YouTube window, the screen starts flickering very bad which seems to me like an issue with Hardware acceleration. The issue is only while using the installed app. Whenever I open youtube.com in browser window, it is alright without any issues. 

Some time back we saw a fix applied for idle CPU and GPU usage in Edge apps, maybe that is the culprit? 

Looping in @Deleted so that the feedback can be read by Media and Edge Apps team. 

Thanks a lot :)

7 Replies

@Rohit Yadav Thanks for bringing this to our attention! A couple of questions for you:

1. I'm using the latest version of Canary and couldn't repro it. What channel(s) and version(s) of MS Edge are you seeing this in?
  2. Do you have either Adblock Plus or Adblock for YouTube enabled?
  3. Have you had issues with any other PWAs recently?

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Hi, 

1. Have you installed YouTube as an app? I can only reproduce it if I open the YouTube app that I have installed. The issue is not reproducible when youtube.com is opened in a tab in browser window. I only see this in the Canary builds from about some days back.

2. I do not have AdBlock Plus or AdBlocker for YouTube. I'm just using the Tracking Prevention, set to Strict level.

3. I cannot see the issue in any other PWA, its just YouTube PWA having the issue.

Thanks!

@Rohit Yadav 

1. Yes, I had installed it as a PWA too. "I only see this in the Canary builds from about some days back." To clarify, does this mean that the issue is no longer happening, or that it's still in the current Canary build?

2.-3. Good to know!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted I was seeing this till build 572. In today's build 573, I cannot repro it. Will be using the PWA and if I get the issue again, I will reply to you here. :)

@Rohit Yadav Perfect, thank you!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted I had the same issue aswell but on youtube.com, it would just start flickering between black and white and then would get stuck on one. I think i had similar issues with twitter aswell. I am on canary.

@Somali-Pirate in case you face this issue or you are seeing anyone experiencing problem with Microsoft Edge, make sure send feedback to product team. That way they have access to some log files and more details and it would be easier to troubleshoot and fix it.