SOLVED

YouTube 4K 360 videos drop 30% frames in Chromium Edge; Google Chrome drops 0%

Bronze Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-89v4Fk-M

Can someone confirm this bug? Play this video at "2160s" (4K 360 in YouTube nomenclature). Notice a difference between Google Chrome and Chromium Edge at 4K?

Chromium Edge 77.0.223.0 dev (64-bit) has 32.4% frame loss

2019-07-27_20-31-10.png

Google Chrome 75.0.3770.142 official (64-bit) has 0% frame loss
2019-07-27_20-31-44.png

To see these results, right-click anywhere in the YouTube video and click "Stats for nerds". Beware: any connection/packet loss (where the video buffers by killing the video feed = black screen with a loading circle) will reset the frame loss counter.

1. Incognito vs normal modes: same results
  2. NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 vs Intel UHD Graphics 630: same results
  3. Restart both browsers: same results
  4. Restart system: same results

Test system:

• Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 (build 17134.885)
  • Intel i5-8600K (stock) on an ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 (driver 431.60; 1st 1920 x 1080 panel) + integrated UHD 630 (6.20.100.6912 driver; 2nd 1920 x 1080 panel)
  • 16 GB DDR4-3000 GeIL EVO Spear RAM
  • Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB nVME SSD

I nearly synced up the play time (1063  frames vs 1047 frames) and the data is clear. The codec looks identical, so I can't really tell what is going on at all here. I've reported the bug via the smiley at least twice, I believe, but still no improvements some months later. :(

Can anyone confirm this performance degradation?

The making of The New York Times Magazine's Walking New York cover with the artist JR. Subscribe on YouTube: http://bit.ly/U8Ys7n Walk through the popular areas of New York City in VR. You'll see all of the most popular New York City landmarks and you'll feel like you are actually there. For the ...
8 Replies

Here is what i the result i tested.

Annotation 2019-07-29 105314.png Edge Chromium.Annotation 2019-07-29 105940.png Edge Chromium using User Agent Switcher and Manager and changed to Chrome

Annotation 2019-07-29 105821.png Whale Browser(Chromium browser)

And the answer is yes. There is performance drop. I tested this in other computer and Edge also show performance drop. 

Test system:

• Windows 10 Pro x64 1903
  • Amd Ryzen 2700X
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
  • 16 GB RAM
best response confirmed by ikjadoon (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

@ikjadoon @TrueGame, Thank you both for alerting us to this issue.  I have sent mail to the performance team so that they can begin their investigation.  We are aware of one bug that was affecting videos this weekend, which may be the root cause for this issue too.  We will take a look though. Thanks - Elliot

@TrueGame Thank you so much for testing this and confirming it. I unfortunately only have daily access to two systems, but they're pretty identical, so it was hard to be sure.

@Elliot Kirk Ah, that's great to hear. Thank you kindly. I seem to recall this issue lasting some time (I'd opened this video a few months prior with similar results), but perhaps all the issues have rolled together!

Hi @ikjadoon@TrueGame, the performance team is really interested in understanding more about what is going on here, but they will need more information to help diagnose the issue, if you are willing to give it to us.

Can you do the following when you see this issue:

1. Go to edge://gpu and save the page.
  2. Go to edge://media-internals and save the page.
  3. Open Command Prompt (cmd) and execute “dxdiag”. In the popup window which opens, click on “Save all information”
  4. Feel free to send it to me in a message if you don't want to post it in this thread.  I will delete it on my side as soon as we finish diagnosing the issue.

Also Chrome stable isn't the most helpful comparison for our Developer and Canary channels, as it is currently on version 75, while the Chrome Canary channel, and the Microsoft Edge Insider channels are on version 77.  If you have an opportunity to reproduce this issue on Chrome Canary, that would also be very helpful https://www.google.com/chrome/canary/.

Thanks,

Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 

Thank you kindly for looking into this. I've attached all the files: I copied to clipboard, as the HTM/HTML files didn't allow you to change the tabs. Did I get what you're looking for?  See next post for Pastebin links: seems like the forum upload isn't working.

Chrome 78.0.3870.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)= 0 (zero) frame drops out of 1000+ frames (78 has a small bug where right-clicking on the page or pausing the video can cause frame drops. Otherwise, playback is smooth and screenshots of the stats during playback show that)

2019-07-31_15-23-31.png

Chrome 77.0.3860.5 (Official Build) dev (64-bit) = 0 (zero) frame drops out of 1000+ frames

2019-07-31_15-37-49.png

@ikjadoon Eh: copied the files to the clipboard -> text file -> uploaded a zip, but it's seemingly disappeared from the post. Let me try again with a Word file...

EDIT: no dice with Word, either. Perhaps the forums' upload feature is buggy. I've uploaded them to Pastbin with a one-week expiration:

edge://media-internals: https://pastebin.com/5GcsZQB8

edge://gpu: https://pastebin.com/zgTs3FQ9

dxdiag output: https://pastebin.com/eWuU6yZ7

@ikjadoon Preliminary results with the latest Chromium Edge dev build, 77.0.230.2, are looking good.

I've got zero frame drops so far, even after reloading a few times and panning around.

2019-07-31_16-09-30.png

@ikjadoon 

I've spent years trying to solve this YouTube problem, and finally found the solution.

Go to edge://flags and look for "Media Foundation playback for Windows 10". Change from default to enabled. That's it! Now the YouTube reproduction will be exactly the same as the good old Edge Legacy. No more dropped frames, ZERO. I have an old machine,  and here are some screenshots to show perfect playback even at 8K@60.

Captura de Tela (4).png

Captura de Tela (5).png

Hope this helps.

Just on more thing: sometimes with live streams the audio gets out of sync, but a refresh of the page solves it. If anyone can find a solution for this bug, that would be great.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ikjadoon (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

@ikjadoon @TrueGame, Thank you both for alerting us to this issue.  I have sent mail to the performance team so that they can begin their investigation.  We are aware of one bug that was affecting videos this weekend, which may be the root cause for this issue too.  We will take a look though. Thanks - Elliot

View solution in original post