Yellow folders are back!!

Silver Contributor

First thing that hit me as Version 80.0.359.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) the latest  update was starting...  Yeah! Yellow folder icons are back.. NOW they look like folders... Thank You!

Annotation 2019-12-10 143915.jpg

Now if you could only fix them so we can have them to only show the icon without the name, this would be PERFECT!!

Dennis5mile

27 Replies
Now it looks like Google chrome clone. no different.
Microsoft should let us choose any color we want.
Yeah, letting us choose the color would be nice, but at least now the icons look like folders and not some sort of white index card......

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile @HotCakeX What if we could choose different colours for individual folders?

That would be great!
specially when we will be able to set them to icon only so we can recognize them by their colors.
That would be nice!

Dennis5mile
Now there is a thought! Lets hope the team is taking notes..

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile Looks pretty meh. Yellow folders are a very archaic thing, I find very useful in Unreal Engine 4 option to mark folders with custom colour and I wish file explorer and other apps support this feature. I guess little skeleton icon can be hardly recognisable for some people but filling icons with yellow without any customization option looks too lame for me.

hhmm, interesting, taking an icon that is supposed to represent a folder and make it look like a folder and you call that lame.... hhhmmm

Dennis5mile
Yeah hope so

@Henry08 

@Henry08 wrote:

@Dennis5mile Looks pretty meh. Yellow folders are a very archaic thing, I find very useful in Unreal Engine 4 option to mark folders with custom colour and I wish file explorer and other apps support this feature. I guess little skeleton icon can be hardly recognisable for some people but filling icons with yellow without any customization option looks too lame for me.

on Windows explorer folders i used to use tools like this

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-change-the-standard-folder-icon-to-another-icon/

the built in options already allow for selecting icons from very old set if icons or browsing for custom pictures. imagine Edge insider would have the same abilities!

@Dennis5mile  Not like this since the either UI was white, black, and grey

@Dennis5mile 

Finally !!!!!!!

@HotCakeX  Thanks, I'll try some of them. File Explorer has a critical flaw, it doesn't transfer folder setting, folder icons resetting to default every time after Windows updates, so on the fast ring, this solution becomes useless. 

As soon as I saw it I sent in feedback saying that I loved it! I know that it's not good to send in feedback that isn't actionable but I believe that they'll see it. I just delete the title of folders so it only shows the icon

@Henry08 

@Henry08 wrote:

@HotCakeX  Thanks, I'll try some of them. File Explorer has a critical flaw, it doesn't transfer folder setting, folder icons resetting to default every time after Windows updates, so on the fast ring, this solution becomes useless. 

how about after general semiannual Windows 10 upgrades?

But without the titles all the folders will look the same way :)
we need to be able to set different colors for the nameless folders..

@pneenkoalabear 

Not only do they look the same without names, but nothing happens when you hover over them, so there is NO way to tell what folder is what.... and when you have 20+ folders on your Fav Bar just deleting the names is not a smart thing to do nor is it helpful at all......

Dennis5mile

Do not like. :facepalm: Installing Edge v79 so I can use the original style for a little longer. Non-colored folders looked so much cleaner and less distracting from webpage content.

I share your pain too.. :sad_but_relieved_face:

I sent feedback from browser asking to let us change the favorites folder color and they said they are working on it