X64 Edge stable installs in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge folder... Eeeek.

Steel Contributor

Dear reader & Edge development team,

After I installed the stable 79.0.309.65 x64 on our home Windows 10 x64 PC I noticed that the installer (download c2r installer and MSI) install the stable x64 in the x86 ProgramFilesDir, to me a amateurish mortal sin.

I did not notice this when using the beta at work since july last year since this was on a x86 Windows 7 system.

This should be corrected in a newer release IMHO.

regards, Henno.

2 Replies

Even stranger and more confusing, the ARM64 version installs to "C:\Program Files (x86)\" instead of "C:\Program Files (Arm)\" as it should.  It made it very hard to figure out if I was running the correct version.

Also, I wish the Help->About screen showed the compiled architecture, and not just the bitness.  It should say i86, amd64, arm64/aarch64.  Mine just shows "64-bit" and no mention of ARM.

Windows Task Manager also doesn't help.  It too just shows bitness and not architecture.  The only way I was reasonably certain I installed the right version for ARM is that these Windows on Arm computers can only run i86 code via emulation, and not amd64 code.  That, and performance was much improved over the release channel that was running in emulation.