Would any GPU flags help my workload's performance?

Brass Contributor

Hey, quick question

I use a lot of web-based stock market charting sites, which involves lots of tabs with charts rendering and lots of live data coming in. Would any flags related to the GPU help my performance? (or any other flags) Should I leave it all default?

2 Replies

@matb86 

'Override software rendering list' and 'GPU rasterization' are already on, unless you have hardware acceleration disabled for any reason.

Turning on the 'GPU rasterization' flag will result in force-rendering all pages using the GPU, which might result in visual bugs if you're using an unsupported Graphics card.

Other flags you listed can indeed improve performance in most cases, however it really depends on how efficient the program is written.

(Also, if something increases performance while staying safe & reliable for supported hardwares, then it's surely going to be turned on by default. but it's still possible for flags to sometimes enhance performance by a considerable amount.)

These flags could also improve performance: 'Skia API for compositing', 'Choose ANGLE graphics backend' and 'Select HW overlay strategies'

As for ANGLE, You could experiment with different backends, this is affected by your OS and GPU vendor [AMD/NVidia for example], AMD drivers typically have some overhead on DX11 or older OpenGL versions (Which ANGLE uses), while they performed very well with low-level API's like Vulkan or DX12.

D3D9 is old and probably going to be slower than other backends.  However, the new D3D11 on 12, translates DirectX11 calls to DirectX12 and while there is a slight overhead involved, it has the potential to be faster, due to the newer features of DX12.

HW Overlay depends on your hardware as well, so I would recommend experimenting and setting values accordingly to the results; as there are no exact answers for this.

Depending on how the charts are implemented other flags could also greatly improve performance.

For example a Chart that is using WebAssembly (Recently more and more web-based libraries have been moving to it) could be made much faster by using WebAssembly's TurboFan compiler (This will increase the initial loading time but afterwards it'll be cached and more responsive): 'WebAssembly baseline compiler' + 'WebAssembly tiering'

(Other related flags could help only if the application was written to use them, but the above ones will work for all cases)

In conclusion the flags you've mentioned can improve performance, there are also several other flags (and command line switches) that could positively affect performance; in addition to disabling unnecessary background apps and extensions.

thanks, giving the suggested a shot (though not sure how to really A/B test, either way..)

I've got a i7 6-core cpu and a [Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB] so mostly hoping to hand as much of the workload to the GPU as possible since at the moment Edge really chokes up when I have a bunch of tabs going and volume picks up (and nothing is graphically demanding in this scenario)