Workaround for using Gmail Account to Sync in Microsoft Edge

Bronze Contributor

Hi 

There have been discussion on supporting Gmail Account on Microsoft Edge and even though, it is not possible to do it (Microsoft Edge supports Microsoft Account and Microsoft 365 Account) , I would like to share a workaround.

1) Please login to Microsoft Account website https://account.microsoft.com/ and you should see a page like following.

1.JPG

2)In the top right corner of the page click on sign in and you should see Microsoft Account login page which looks like the following.

2.JPG

3)In this page you will see No account? Create one! click on it and it will load another page where you could create your new account and you should see picture like following.

3.JPG

4) In this page enter the Gmail account where you want to use to Sync Microsoft Edge. Then follow screen and it will ask you to create password and you may use the same password as the one you are using for Gmail account and follow these steps and fill up form and once it has been completed. It will send an email to your Gmail for verification and you have to login to your Gmail to verify it.

5) Then you may open Microsoft Edge and sign in with Gmail account and it should work.

Notes:

• You could use same method to associate other accounts (except those which are Microsoft Tenant and school where you have login option for them) and we just share Gmail as example.
  • Password could be different with your Gmail account because you are creating new account but in case you use same account you fill like login with your Gmail account.
  • In case you visit Microsoft Account and you have been logged in, click on top right corner of page and sign out from your account and then try create new account.

Please try out above steps and let me know if it works. 

5 Replies

@Reza_Ameri-Archived I am totally against using Google Account in Microsoft Edge, but this is not the required solution the insiders want. This method creates a MSA with @gmail.com alias, still different from Google account.

@Rohit Yadav 

Yes, you are correct it won't sync Google account and that is why I mentioned "Workaround" in the title. The scenario is we do have users who are mainly use Gmail for everything and we used to ask them to setup new Outlook.com or Microsoft Account to be able to Sync options in Gmail. 

In this case, they will create account with same username and password as Gmail, so they don't have to remember two usernames and two accounts. 

There are users who just want to enter one username and password and login without having multiple account with multiple passwords.

My recommendation is of course moving to Microsoft Account to enjoy full experience.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

To sync your history, passwords, and everything saved to your Google account with Microsoft Edge, just go to "Settings" in your Edge browser, then go to "Import Browser Data" under "Personal". Select "Choose What to Import". In "Import from", choose "Google Chrome". If you have more than one profiles in Chrome, select the appropriate profile, scroll down and click "Import".

That's all. Everything on your Google Chrome will be moved to Edge without stress 

Enjoy!

@Josepholu this is not sync, it's backup and restore. The question, issue was NOT about that.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Hello

The sync works for normal gmail account but not for Gsuite logins

Regards

Sanjay