Windows credential manager and Edge password manager

MVP

I want to suggest to sync passwords saved in Edge with Windows credential manager in order for them to be accessible to all other apps and programs in Windows and also operate as a system wide password manager.
Windows credential manager stores passwords from Internet explorer and legacy Edge but not the new Edge browser, the link is broken and the two components don't talk to each other anymore.

the problem at the moment is that some passwords are stored in my Edge browser password manager, some others are stored in Windows credential manager by other apps, If i want to change password of a website, I have to manually update it in both places.

also the apps i use on Windows 10 only talk to Windows credential manager and they don't use Edge password manager, so this creates the need to save password in 2 places and duplicate them.

dsadasda.png

Such a great secure encrypted native feature in Windows that is rarely paid attention to. this is the system-wide password manager of Windows, just like the one in Android and Mac.

18 Replies

@HotCakeX  Awesome!

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:

@HotCakeX  Adding @Deleted @josh_bodner and @MissyQ .

Don't think it's necessary, it just spams their feed. if they wanna have any activity in here they just come and visit.

@HotCakeX While I can't provide specifics, I can assure you that this is top-of-mind for the team right now, so they'd appreciate any feedback you have around this!

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

oh! i agree! edge(chrome base) is always some feature left.
ex. ie sync edge in plocy

my mistake, plocy -> policies

@XIYO 

@XIYO wrote:
oh! i agree! edge(chrome base) is always some feature left.
ex. ie sync edge in plocy

You mean a policy to control sync?

there are policies for it.

oh! Thanks, your answer!
Yes! There is a policy.
Just for the legacy edge.
I know it's not on the edge(chrome based)

@XIYO 

@XIYO wrote:
oh! Thanks, your answer!
Yes! There is a policy.
Just for the legacy edge.
I know it's not on the edge(chrome based)

I wasn't talking about Edge legacy.

Read the Edge policies:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies

The only think i would love to have when they will have fuse these two thing is, a mobile version of this credential VAULT, because on mobile for now i have to go to the browser to copy past my passwords :\
Yup, me too. that would be perfect

@Wittycat That may change soon, becuase they are updating Microsoft Authenticator apps on Android and iOS to act as an autofill service for saved passwords in Microsoft Edge! iOS version of the app has the changes, though it is not fully functional yet.

Good news, i hope to see it soon because even on windows 10 (for Gog galaxy who ask password every start), it's very annoying to do, edge -> menu -> password -> search gog -> eye -> fingerprint -> triple clic to select the password -> ctrl + c -> ctrl +v, and copy another random text to erase it from the clipboard.
So if they do it good job Microsoft
Did they announce anything recently?

The team did not announce anything, but some people discovered it in the TestFlight version:

Microsoft Authenticator might soon work as a password manager … (windowscentral.com)

Yeah saw that article, only about IOS, no word about Android

Speaking about the Microsoft Authenticator app, I am flighting the beta version on Android for a long time now, and I have seen the new features make way to iOS first before they come on Android. So, I am sure we will have it on Android, though not at the same time as iOS. 

Okay i'll be waiting for it, but it's sad to know they ship it to IOS first.

@HotCakeX rejoice, the autofill capabilities are heading to Android as well! 

image.png

Nice xD
can't wait!