SOLVED

Windows 10 Kiosk with Edge Chromium

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Copper Contributor

We are testing Windows 10 Kiosk Mode with the new Edge Chromium Browser as the app to launch in full screen mode.  Edge Chromium is installed and working, however in the Kiosk Attended Setup, the Edge App is noted with the old Edge logo.

We are able to select Edge and reboot.  Upon reboot, the machine auto-logs in and tries to start Edge Chromium (guessing), however we never move beyond a blank blue screen.  

Any idea if this is something that should be working?  Or if not, when we might expect it to work?

65 Replies

@ggbnz2230 

I have not tried this option myself, so would relay this back to some experts who may know better. But in the meantime, some dumb questions:

1. I hope you are trying "-AppUserModelId" as in the docs and not "-AUMID" as you mentioned in the post?

2. Are you also supplying the user name/SID via the options mentioned in the docs when using the "Set-AssignedAccess" command line? 

This is the doc I'm referring to in the above: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-single-app#powershell

@edgebrk , what issue(s) are you running into when configuring the new Edge as single app kiosk using PowerShell command line?

@Raj_GS 

Powershell script i am running 

Set-AssignedAccess -AUMID Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge.Stable_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MSEDGE -UserName $usrname

Application was not found. Enter either a valid AppName or AUMID
At C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\AssignedAccess\AssignedAccess.psm1:288 char:17
+ throw $SCStringTable.ErrorAppNotFound
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (Application was...ppName or AUMID:String) [], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Application was not found. Enter either a valid AppName or AUMID

Set-AssignedAccess -AUMID Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge.Stable_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MSEDGE -UserName $usrname

Application was not found. Enter either a valid AppName or AUMID
At C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\AssignedAccess\AssignedAccess.psm1:288 char:17
+ throw $SCStringTable.ErrorAppNotFound
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (Application was...ppName or AUMID:String) [], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Application was not found. Enter either a valid AppName or AUMID

@ggbnz2230 ,

Thanks! The new Edge is Win32-based and so, Set-AssignedAccess cannot be used to configure it as kiosk app, as that command only works with UWP apps.

To configure Edge as single app kiosk with Assigned Access, you'll have to use WMI Bridge solution: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-mdm-bridge. Look for the Powershell samples linked from that page too.

Cc: @edgebrk

Hi Everyone!  In an effort to ensure that everyone is addressed for their individual needs and questions, please start a new discussion for each separate kiosk mode issue.  Thanks! 

-Kelly