SOLVED

Windows 10 Kiosk with Edge Chromium

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Copper Contributor

We are testing Windows 10 Kiosk Mode with the new Edge Chromium Browser as the app to launch in full screen mode.  Edge Chromium is installed and working, however in the Kiosk Attended Setup, the Edge App is noted with the old Edge logo.

We are able to select Edge and reboot.  Upon reboot, the machine auto-logs in and tries to start Edge Chromium (guessing), however we never move beyond a blank blue screen.  

Any idea if this is something that should be working?  Or if not, when we might expect it to work?

65 Replies

@ShipUPride Thanks for letting us know! Can you please confirm which version of Edge you are using, Stable, Beta, Dev, or Canary? And if you haven't yet, can you please submit feedback through the browser so that our team has a log of the blue screen crash?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted

Thanks.  I'll do so through the browser as well, however just to be clear this is not a BSOD.  Just a blank blue screen.  This is stable release downloaded today.  Version 79.0.309.65 (64 bit)

@ShipUPride Thanks for the quick reply. Our team is looking into this now and I'll let you know if/when they have further questions or insights!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@ShipUPride ,

Thanks for the ping! Could you please clarify what you mean by "Kiosk Attended setup"? Which option are you using to configure Kiosk mode? Is it via the "Setup a kiosk" option in Settings, or via InTune or Windows Configuration Designer or some other method?

@Raj_GS 

In Windows 10 Settings, Accounts, Assigned Access (I was mistaken, going by memory).

Setting up manually via computer without inTune.  This is a proof of concept.

@ShipUPride 
Hi Team,

I would like you to pay attention over the history being injected in new Edge which is from chrome not from Edge. I am not able to understand how my personal data (bookmarks, history etc) injected to my work email.

My work data is lost when I migrated to the new version.

Another small bug is with the icons being bookmarked are transient , sometimes they show up and sometimes not.

When i visited the import setting I am not able to find the Edge setting.

Regards,

Vatsala

Microsoft Employee

I would suggest starting a new thread to express your technical issue as to not add confusion to this thread.

@ShipUPride 

Thanks for clarifying that! This option sets up the single-app assigned access configuration listed in http://aka.ms/edgekioskmode .

Unfortunately, this is not yet possible with Edge Chromium, as that option currently supports modern apps only. That said, depending on your use case, there are a bunch of possible workarounds which you could use to setup a Kiosk-like restricted environment with Edge Chromium, listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-additional-reference. There are also some articles recently published by independent authors (IT admins mostly) that discuss how they've tried to configure Edge Chromium as a Kiosk FYI.

My colleague will respond in a minute as to why you are seeing the blank blue screen and how you can fix it.

best response confirmed by ShipUPride (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ShipUPride ,

The Windows 10 Settings, Accounts, Assigned Access sets Microsoft Edge Legacy as the browser for your kiosk device. When the new version of Microsoft Edge (Chromium based) Stable channel is installed, Microsoft Edge Legacy is hidden and all attempts to launch Microsoft Edge Legacy are redirected to the new version. For more details see Access Microsoft Edge Legacy after installing the new version of Microsoft Edge and Windows updates to support the next version of Microsoft Edge.

The reason you’re seeing the blue screen is because Assigned Access is trying to launch the new version of Microsoft Edge, which is not currently supported in this scenario. To continue using Microsoft Edge Legacy kiosk mode deploy the Microsoft Edge Allow Microsoft Edge Side by Side browser experience policy, set it to Disabled. The Configure for Windows article has instructions on downloading the Microsoft Edge policy template and setting a policies.

Let me know if you have any further issues or question.

@Brian Altman 

Thank you everyone!  I'll give the recommendations a shot.  Do you know when Chromium Edge may be available for use in Win10 Kiosk?

@ShipUPride We are working on this scenario, but we don't have a date to share at this time. Support for the new Microsoft Edge with single-app Assigned Access requires some Windows updates, so it will take some time before we can land the full scenario. In the meantime, Microsoft Edge Legacy kiosk mode and the Microsoft Kiosk browser app remain fully supported.

@ShipUPride FYI, our Microsoft Edge kiosk mode article is now live.

@Brian Altman 

Any update on this? We are hoping to use the new chromium based Edge in Kiosk mode without having to assign enterprise licenses for third party app support and so we can use the same Edge kiosk mode options from the old version. Any ETA would be helpful, we have active projects that are on pause until (new) Edge is working in native kiosk mode. 

Thanks!

@JWade8080 We are right now in the phase of gathering requirements for this.  No ETA as of right now.  Would love to hear more about your use case(s) and if you have any specific requirements to share with us.

Thanks,

-tamara

@tamarajh 

We are using Kiosk devices for several applications:

- Information kiosks

- single Purpose terminals where ahtientication is happening inside web apps

- Multi app Kiosks to Control machines with dedicated apps and web-apps in Kiosk mode.

What's currently missing for us:

- Multi-Tab in Kiosk (Fullscreen)

- Something like "Enforce Fullscreen mode" you had in IE which enabled mutiapp-scenario having just a web app window without controls. I know you have app mode in Chromium, but as soon as a link is opened in a new window, the browser opens in full mode. Users should be permanently locked down to the app/Kiosk mode even with multiple Windows open.

- possibility to have Basic controls linke back, Forward without having to Display the address bar, favourites ...

As some of our devices are procution critical (and all are single Purpose), they are set up with Windows 10 LTSC -> no legacy Edge which covers a lot of the requested Features.

@tamarajh 

My company would also be very interested in this feature, has there been any further developments on this?
Our current web app does not work with old Microsoft Edge, and it does work with the new Chromium-based Edge and we would like to use it as part of the assigned access account.

Thanks

@Benjamin Lange thank you for the detailed information. Apologies for the delay in response. 
I have taken note of the experience and requirements you presented. 

Please let me know if it is ok if I follow a conversation offline with you. 

@PatrickK7 thank you for the follow up. We are glad to hear that there is interest on the Kiosk mode feature. 

As my colleague, Brian, mentioned the new Microsoft Edge with single-app Assigned Access requires some Windows updates, so it will take some time before we can land the full scenario. 

We do not have an ETA to share at this moment. 

In the meantime can you please share your use case(s) and if you have any specific requirements to share with us.

As well please let me know if it is ok if I follow offline with you. 

Hello @Adrian_Guta,

I would just like to state that I too would really appreciate if Edge Chromium would be able to run in KIOSK mode.

We have tried Edge legacy for a while and this feature is really solid in my opinion.

Though it appears that we have stumbled upon a small problem which I think Edge Chromium would solve. 

When you download a pdf-file and want to open it in Edge Legacy the session restarts, but in Chromium it seems to automatically open in the browser.

Please keep this project going!

Best Regards,

Simon.A

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ShipUPride (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ShipUPride ,

The Windows 10 Settings, Accounts, Assigned Access sets Microsoft Edge Legacy as the browser for your kiosk device. When the new version of Microsoft Edge (Chromium based) Stable channel is installed, Microsoft Edge Legacy is hidden and all attempts to launch Microsoft Edge Legacy are redirected to the new version. For more details see Access Microsoft Edge Legacy after installing the new version of Microsoft Edge and Windows updates to support the next version of Microsoft Edge.

The reason you’re seeing the blue screen is because Assigned Access is trying to launch the new version of Microsoft Edge, which is not currently supported in this scenario. To continue using Microsoft Edge Legacy kiosk mode deploy the Microsoft Edge Allow Microsoft Edge Side by Side browser experience policy, set it to Disabled. The Configure for Windows article has instructions on downloading the Microsoft Edge policy template and setting a policies.

Let me know if you have any further issues or question.

View solution in original post