Windows 10...IE 11...32-bit?

Brass Contributor

Hello. If anybody has a minute, I have some sites requiring 32-bit IE. in Windows 7, i created a second IE 32-bit shortcut (C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe) and it launched a strictly IE-11, 32-bit.

In Windows 10, the same procedure seems to launch 64-bit, despite the shortcut property to x86. The Task Manager does not indicate any difference between the launched 64-bit and 32-bit instances. Both list iexplore.exe (nothing indicating 32 bit).

I've read stuff about internet Opetions, checking/unchecking Enhanced Protected Mode but that does nothing, and it sounds kind of weird to have to do that anyway.

1. Is there a way to verify bitness of an open IE 11 instance on Windows 10?

2. Despite that, I fear its launching 64-bit anyway, despite the path executable. How are you able to set up a 32-bit only IE shortcut as perfomred in Windows 7?

Thank you so much for reading.

18 Replies

@HotCakeX Hi, thank you so much.

yeah, I reviewed both those threads earlier in my massive days long googling but they seem generally inconclusive.

I had IE 11 on Windows 7 and absolutely needed the 32-bit (x86) shortcut, despite these threads saying >= IE 10 determines, on a hyperlnk load basis, the bitness required.

Also, there is no iexplore.exe *32 in Windows 10 process manager, even if launching the x86 executable. So i'm still stuck. I've read the same issues elsewhere but no substantive answers specifically for Windows 10, IE 11.

Um why don't you use Windows 10 32-bit?

@TomGriffith3 

there are also other ways to see the architecture of executable in Task manager

ddd.png

eee.png

this one in the Details tab of Task manager, I'm not sure whether you have it or not because If i remember correctly it was introduced in Windows Insider build that Im using

Spoiler
3.png

gdfggdfg.png

if your web apps are old and only run on 32 bit IE, you have 2 more options

1. Update your apps so they will be able to run on any modern browser (you will have a peace of mind for the future to come)
  2. use Hyper-V (which is free) to virtualize Windows 7 32bit or any other 32bit version of Windows that you want to use its 32bit IE feature.

@HotCakeX  Thank you. In the Details tab of Task Manager, naturually I don't have the Architecture column. :) Is there a way to get that to display?

Yes please see the spoiler content above, right-click on that orange circle and choose "select columns". it you don't find it then use the first screenshot above which is from process tab in Task manager, if your program, in this case internet explorer, has a (32 bit) tab next to it then it is 32bit, if it doesn't then it is 64bit.

@HotCakeX 

ok. Thanks. I couldn't find Architecture but I tried showing platform and it has 32 bt or 64 bit for everything.

My concern is when I do launch the 32-bit IE, it creates two entries, one 64 and one 32, but the 64 is using little memory. I guess it's saying the bulk of the processing is 32-bit but that lingering little 64-bit thing concerns me. It's like piggybacking on the 64-bit for ~something~. I hope it's some kind of shared resource deal and not anything in terms of processor to blow up the app.

I don't have access to the intranet with Win 10 to test it yet, I'm in a preemptive panic.

@HotCakeX 

oh, wow. Both executables are running the same manner in the Platform column, majority resource 32 k, smaller 64k allocation. It doesn't matter which executable. Ugh.

Oh, which Windows 10 build are you using by the way?

@HotCakeX 

where would I find that on Win 10?

I was reading stuff where >=IE 10 frame/manager process uses 64-bit, but desktop tabs use 32-bit. I have a creepy feeling I need the former to run at 32-bit as well for this app.

Because I had to create that separate IE 32 bit shortcut in Win 7.

From Windows 10 settings => System => About
Or
type in the search "winver" and press Enter

Yes I think that article is correct, that's also what I'm seeing on Task manager.

@HotCakeX 

v. 1903 Build 18362.592)

I wish I knew if that "Frame/Manager Process" running in 64 bit has any effect on processing page content. This app has ActiveX, among other things.

@HotCakeX 

But it's still IE 11, and that junk about how it runs seems IE specific. That's the constant between Windows 7 and Windows 10. So would the OS change how IE runs in 32/64 mode?

1903 is good, there is also 1909 that few months ago released.

anyway, unfortunately I don't have much information about that particular aspect of IE in Windows 10, hope others can help you further with your issue :)

@HotCakeX 

I really appreciate your help, it provided a wealth of insight. I'm basically flying blind right now, my Win 10 can't access the apps intranet, while my Win 7 32 bit is how I've worked there.

I'm asking somebody who works with the apps with Win 7 64 bit, IE 11 32-bit to provide a screenshot of her Task Manager. Maybe I can see if IE 11 is running in this little of 64, a lot of 32 manner "successfully" for her.

Hi @TomGriffith3 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_8/how-to-run-internet-explorer-10-64-bit-i...

There are no longer options to setup separate shortcust for 64 abd 32bit IE. You only need to clear "Enable Enchanced protected mode" setting to use IE in 32bit. We do that in our company and we are using 32bit activex controls. So I'm confident that it is 32bit IE :). The same applies to IE Mode in Edge on 64bit systems.

@mindst thank you so much. That is reassuring beyond belief.

Is your company Win 10? My question is what exactly is the default bit state of IE 11?

Out of the box, it has Enable Protected Mode checked and the awesome documentation behind the link indicates 32 bit is the default. Yet to have it run 64-bit, stuff needs checked and to run 32-bit, the procedure is to uncheck Enable Protected Mode.

It's like the default is some middle ground which is 32-bit and has Enable Protected Mode checked? And this can't run 32-bit ActiveX (presumably when enabled in zone security tab)?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what exactly is out of the box between the two bit states, it seems to be a hybrid. Thanks so much again. I hate not being able to mess wiht this directly but as a skeptic, anticipating the chaos. :) and praying.

Hey, @mindst 

ok, I've been rereading all the links you have provided and our discussion. There are two settings...I think I was getting confused between the two...

Security tab - Enable Protected Mode

Advanced Tab - Enable Enhanced Protected Mode

So it's Advanced Tab - Enable Enhanced Protected Mode needs to be unchecked, That's a switch for 64-bitness. This is unchecked by default.

What about Security tab - Enable Protected Mode? That is checked by default. Does this need to be unchecked? Maybe nothing has to be done to enable 32-bit and ActiveX, after-all.

It's simply ensuring Advanced Tab - Enable Enhanced Protected Mode is unchecked?