Window size and position

Steel Contributor

It's good to see that preview versions remember window size and position - this has always been an irritating problem with Edge. However, if I open a new window (Ctrl-N), it retains its parent's size but it is always offset by 10px from the parent. This may be helpful for those who need reminding that more than one browser window is open. However, it is very annoying when other windows have been carefully arranged on the desktop to find that the browser is now overlapping them.

Is it, or could it be made, possible to specify what the automatic offset of new windows should be? 

2 Replies

@Noel Burgess File Explorer works the same way so may be it's more a Windows way of doing things than Edge. Just checked on macOS, it also offsets new windows the same way.

@CodeDJ wrote:

@Noel Burgess File Explorer works the same way 

@CodeDJ 

Thanks.

I just tried with File Explorer (probably for the first time ever) and saw that the new window was something like 40px to the right and 50px higher (!) than its parent. So the behaviour is analogous, but the metrics are different. Subsequent 'new window' requests produced even more exaggerated moves.

This leads me to believe that the offset is determined within the program/app and not inherited from some Windows setting. At least, each new window in Edge is consistently 10px to the right and 10px below its parent. These are the values I'd like to be able to specify.