Will Edge some day support TRUE Chromecast?

Copper Contributor

I was hoping that with Edge Chromium, Chromecast would be support just like in Chrome. Seems like that is not happening at the moment so I was wondering if there might be plans to change this?

I know that I can enable casting to Chromecast devices in edge://flags but that does not enable the real Chromecast experience. That just enables screen mirroring and that is not really a good replacement for Chromecast when all you want is to spend the day exploring Netflix :)

13 Replies

@CDahl 

Edge (dev) doesn't even show my Vizio tv as an option but does show my xbox. Chrome, however, shows the TV (not sure if it shows the xbox). So... they need to pull new Chromium source or something.

For me , 'Cast' shows my TV, a Roku stick and an Amazon Fire stick as targets, but always says all sources are not supported.

I really hoped that Microsoft, of all people, wouldn't limit themselves to supporting the Google ecosystem only and would have included casting via DLNA/Miracast, not just Chromecast (which I do not have and am not intending to get). Very disappointing.

@CDahl You need to enable 2 functions on the microsoft edge.
Enter edge://flags
1- Enable the Load Media Router Component Extension option #load-media-router-component-extension (This option is to recognize the chromecast device in the microsoft edge browser)
2- Enable the "Connect to Cast devices on all IP addresses" #media-router-cast-allow-all-ips (This option is for that broadcast icon to appear directy in player of video when a youtube video is playing).

@Luiz_Fernando Have you tried that? As I mentioned earlier, I have already done that. Horrible experience. Its more like a default miracast solution but in extremely low quality. Its not the "true chromecast" experience as Im requesting.

@CDahlI did it today, now the icon appears on the youtube video itself, just like in the google chrome browser.

T@Luiz_Fernando So if you cast a youtube video from Edge and turn off your computer, then the video will continue to show? Like a normal Chromecast scenario.

I will give it a try again. Last attempt was about two weeks ago and maybe some updates to Edge since then have made it better. Last time after changing settings in flags, I got the icon and everything but when I did the cast to my Google Chromecast dongle, then it was actually just a screen mirroring but only the video showing up. Also the resolution was very low.

@CDahl 

In fact it would be very nice and useful and fantastic to be able to use Microsoft EDGE directly to send to Google Chromecast example Netflix or Amazon Prime etc ... because at this moment only a black screen appears on the TV, only the audio works. I have noticed that EDGE (chromium) has a lot in common with Google Chrome however Chromecast still doesn't work.

Any possible way in the future ? Thanks.

Hi @CDahl 

for me, disabling #load-media-router-component-extension and instead enabling #cast-media-route-provider did the trick. Now I have the full Chromecast experience in Edge, media is streamed directly on the TV and not via Edge, so I can shut down my PC/tablet while watching.  
Don't know if this works with built-in Chromecast devices as well, but it does with my gen2 and gen3 sticks (disks?). 

@CDahl Using Google Chrome and Amazon Prime from my desktop Windows 10 work perfectly. BUT if i try to cast from EDGE CHROMIUM (now released) black screen appear and nothing to do, not work. OK some might say ... "use google chrome" but in all honesty I am better off with the latest version of edge (chromium) and I'm sorry that still, after a long time, it DOESN'T WORK ... I find it absurd. I don't have a smartphone "AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE IT, I DON'T CARE FOR MANY REASONS" and is it ever possible that they haven't found a way to cast an Amazon Prime from EDGE CHROMIUM DESKTOP? Or maybe it's deliberate? I do not understand.

Using new EDGE and Prime Video to cast (chromecast) on my tv i view only BLACK SCREEN and AUDIO OK... using Google Chrome work perfectly... 

Lack of Chromecast support is a deal killer for Edge,  I am going back to Chrome,

Unfortunately, that's true. Now in fact when I have to use Chromecast I use Chrome and for everything else since I am REALLY very good I use EDGE ... I mean the latest releases of EDGE. @bobby80442